The "Writers' Lodge" Thread

NetStar

• Members

I need some serious inspiration for fun and witty lyrics on the double.

I've been out of the song/poem writing loop for far too long, and I've been hit with the possibility of joining a band as a singer...I won't go too far with this story as it's probably unlikely....But yeah.

Lyrics and song ideas. What do people do to get the creative jooses flowing? I want to write some stuff that it fun and tongue in cheek, but I'm scared of it sounding like cliche {censored}.

Anyway, come in and share your techniques. How you structure verses and choruses. You get what I'm getting at here...

• Members

This probably doesn't help you if you're in a hurry to write (always a bad situation), but I keep a little journal and every time a phrase or combination of words pops into my head that I think has some evocative potential (even if it means very little at the the time), I jot it down. In very little time, I end up with pages and pages of stuff. When I'm trying to write, I scour through them for a line or two to get me started.

Another useful method is the old William Burroughs newspaper cut-up technique. It's a good way to kick off the imagination.

Of course, there's always drugs.

The main thing is just to write and write and write and don't edit yourself or look for any meaning until you've got alot of stuff down on paper.

• Members
We solved it by going instrumental.

:facepalm:

:facepalm:
:lol:

It's dancy electro stuff. Oh dear...

This probably doesn't help you if you're in a hurry to write (always a bad situation), but I keep a little journal and every time a phrase or combination of words pops into my head that I think has some evocative potential (even if it means very little at the the time), I jot it down. In very little time, I end up with pages and pages of stuff. When I'm trying to write, I scour through them for a line or two to get me started.

Another useful method is the old William Burroughs newspaper cut-up technique. It's a good way to kick off the imagination.

Of course, there's always drugs.

The main thing is just to write and write and write and don't edit yourself or look for any meaning until you've got alot of stuff down on paper.

This is really helpful.
I wil do this.

I am going to print this out right now.

Cheers
:thu:

Anymore for anymore?

• Members

i had a band with a couple friends (no gigs ever, just stoned jams) and we played indie-dance rock (the faint, Elkland, blac party etc) and we sang exclusively about panties. you'd never have known it from the lyrics (of which i remember about 1 chorus that went "come get yo' dance on all night long")

i say... when in doubt take metaphors for underwear and cryptically write about that. but not like sysco did... he's the mainstream example of panty-pop. we were straight indie-panty-rock.

• Members

I've always been a natural at writing political and emotional songs. Recently I've been wanting to write mundane lyrics that leave a lot for the imagination. It's actually harder for me to write less intellectual lyrics. I want the songs I write to bring joy and allow the mind to relax, not be put to work.

Write to the rhythm. Let the music form the consonance and cadence. Remember even the most ordinary lyrics can bring big emotion with delivery!

• Members

I've always been a natural at writing political and emotional songs. Recently I've been wanting to write mundane lyrics that leave a lot for the imagination. It's actually harder for me to write less intellectual lyrics. I want the songs I write to bring joy and allow the mind to relax, not be put to work.

Write to the rhythm. Let the music form the consonance and cadence. Remember even the most ordinary lyrics can bring big emotion with delivery!

it's not so much that they're Blink 182 with keyboards. But a sample lyric off the top of my head is

"Clap your hands to the sound of a nail being hit by hammer and if all else fails,

You can scream and shout buty you can't hear a sound whilst you're dancing in the disco and you're undergorund"

It's just a bit quirky...that's all.

• Members

That is Awesome... I feel like Zack De La Rocha must feel all day long

Original:

Four female suicide bombers and a gunman killed at least 70 people and wounded almost 300 others during a string of attacks in central Baghdad and Kirkuk on Monday, officials said.

Cut Up w/ Edit:

people bombers official officials of officials

and at 300 attacks of a female

string of gunman on Monday, Monday, Monday

female and almost 70 killed on Monday, Monday, Monday

central lies official suicide on Monday

• Members

Gigantic +1 to onyxrhino, I have a notebook of lyrical ideas next to me as I type this. :thu:

I also try to imagine something specific happening, then write about it. I do the same for dreams if I remember enough of said dream.

Other than that, :idk:

Archived