using a Korg AX1500G with a VOX AD50VT

mitchvon

• Members

I have a Korg AX1500g multi-effects pedal and I plan to use it with my VOX AD50T combo amp at a forthcoming gig i've got lined up.

Problem is this;

When I play my guitar (fender american strat) through the Korg and listen direct with headphones it sounds brilliant.most of the factory presets sound great, some with a particularly nice fat tone.

When I use it with the VOX amp the tones are quite tinny and thin sounding. The amp is a modelling amp of sorts itself and I have tried various amp settings but i'm still not getting it to sound good (like it does through the phones). The amp simulations on the Vox amp vary from a very clean amp to nu-metal and has all the usual eq knobs ; bass, treble, middle, gain, volume etc.

Can anyone suggest how I can use the korg with the vox in order to get the great tones I'm getting through headphones. ie what amp sim should i select, what eq levels should be set at etc

thanks in advance

• Members

+1

Run the amp with a clean model (AC30 or Fender bassman type, gain backed off) and with the EQ flat (i.e. all controls at 12 O'clock) or maybe a touch warm.

Do you have a practice before the gig? The factory settings are designed to sell the unit in the store - not for real use. Chose the settings you like best, then adjust them playing alone. Make coarse changes first to drive tones, then effects, reverb/delay and finally EQ. When you get to the practice, spend time fine tuning the settings to work in a band context - mostly EQ tweaks and volume adjustment so they all seem balanced when you're playing together.

FWIW I used an AX30G for about 10 years, playing out virtually every week. It can sound GREAT but it's all in the tweaking and tuning of patches.

Archived