Digiverb vs Hardwire RV-7

dermusolini

• Members

hi there,

looking for a reverb pedal mainly for reverse reverb in that spx90/midiverb area, but would also like some more traditional verbs with extremely long tails... cocteau-esque settings in a footpedal not a rack unit..

decided to hunt a digiverb recently, but i've just heard of these Hardwire pedals..

i've watched the vids and the reverse and modulated settings sound interesting, but i can't discern any difference from what i've heard of the digiverb... anyone extensively compared these two pedals in their rig? and what are the pros and cons between them? is the digiverb lacking anything (i guess it doesnt have the modulated setting)? i was under the impression the digiverb used lexicon reverb algorithms anyway.. so i'm not sure where this hardwire range sits, or about the drawcard over the digi x series... is there much of a difference? and specifically how does the reverse compare?

the hardwire pots click? is that a problem when tweaking at extremely high volumes?

• Members

I haven't tried the Hardwire, but the demo of it on Proguitarshop.com to me.... well all the modes sounded exactly the same, and none of them seemed to sit right in the mix.

But that's just through {censored}ty PC speakers so I don't honestly know.

I have had a Digiverb and I'm considering getting another. No modulate mode, but for long atmospheric stuff it's really very good. It's not good at subtle, but if you want noisy stuff it's worth checking out. Reverse mode is decent enough, I just couldn't find a use for it myself.

• Members

I have the Digiverb and have tried the Hardwire.

The Hardwire's reverse is the best reverse reverb I've ever heard! It sounds "big"! however as a whole I find the decay too short on all modes. I was hoping it would have some holiest-grail-ish infinite decay, or even anything logner than the 4 seconds it has.

• Members

from other threads people seem to complain the hardwire decay is fairly short 4-5seconds.. the digiverb is longer, how long? cause yeah, noisy and long atmospheric stuff is the entire goal here, mbv reverse to slowdive.. with some looong tails on the latter..

• Members

I absolutely LOVED the cathedral mode on the Digiverb because it's pretty massive.

The mix control operates as a 50/50 wet/dry mix, as usual, so anything past 12 o clock introduces a bit of a volume drop. But I find that's normal with most reverbs.

I've currently got a Marshall Refelector, which I love because it never goes 100% wet. What the mix control on that does is gradually introduces the reverb signal so the wet signal is as loud as the dry signal at about 2 o clock on the dial. Anything past 2 o clock actually boosts your output level a bit because it brings yet more effected signal in without ever cutting your dry signal at all.

It gets MASSIVE. It's great. I'm only thinking of getting another reverb to complement it because I want one for each side of my stereo signal and the marshall only has a mono input.

• Members

Phil, i've found the verbzilla to be a good compliment to the RF-1. the RV-3 isn't gelling well with it.. the RF-1 just shows it up for the digital/sterile sounding pedal that it is !! so far verbzilla is pairing well with the RF-1.

when i had the Digiverb i couldn't get over the annoying pre-delay that exists on all the modes.. it just was too noticeable for me. especially with those big hall/cathedral modes.. you want to hear a big wash of reverb not a gap and then the sound. digiverb = yuch.

• Members

I'm keeping my options open trying to find a good deal on something, but to be honest the verbzilla is top of my list if I can find a cheap one.

Was it you who said verbzilla is fine on a onespoe type daisy chain power supply? Echo Park and Space chorus won't take it, they hum like bastards.

Archived