synth buying advice...

scientist

• Members

hi, (almost) first post for me here. so i've got a project coming up that calls for a specific synth feel and i'm looking for some gear advice to help get me there. think john carpenter scoring...very analog, a good variety of layered synth parts, some arps thrown in, etc. i like a little tape warble (i'll probably be recording parts to tape for good measure), some tuning drift, and patch design that is very reminiscent of sounds that were easy to get on some of the equipment of the era. the catch is i definitely don't want any vintage past say a juno-60...dependability and patch storage are a must. i've been looking at the desktop evolver, studio electronics monosynths (if i can find one used), and even the alesis ion as it looks like it has some nice modulation possibilities for recreating subtle nuances in tone. any advice as to other synths to look for is much appreciated. oh, and i'm trying to keep it under $1k. i have reaktor as well so if anyone knows of some good ensembles that fit the bill i'm open to that as well. thanks!

• Members

first post ... ? :poke: Somehow I doubt it ...

If I'm wrong ... sorry ... we have a sad serial "first-time" poster here who's always pretending to be somebody's he's not so people will answer his questions and get some attention ...

heh, no worries. i'm for real though, i swear!

@cran: jupiter 6...nice! i've always passed over it because my brain always relates it to the 8, and the 8=$$$$. looks like its at the top of my price range but i'll watch ebay. i have a jp-8080 and access to a juno 60 as well...i'm partial to the roland interfaces...sliders>knobs for me. thanks for the opinions.

• Members

i too am in love with carpenter tones and although the juno 60(i own one) can get kinda close, if i could go back i'd get the prophet 600... since you can't afford a prophet 5, the 600 will be your best bet. i would not go the route of a newer VA... they're good for ambient effects and "filler" tones, but IMHO they lack the vibe you're going for. plus the prophet has midi, for those evil robot sequences... the juno doesn't.

• Members

the jupiter 6 is calling me...beautiful interface. and i see there's a 'random' option for the lfo's and midi. sweet. the 4 looks nice, but i think midi will be a requirement. this is for a film project where i may be asked to replicate patterns on different instruments, so more than likely the arpeggiating will either be done from a sequencer or at the very least an arp from a synth that can send over midi (i'm 99% positive my jp8080 can do this).

• Members

oh snap...assuming you're s.e.o.d. keith...hey its andy/scientific from massmvmnt! small nerd-world. new stuff is great, btw. i finally just got tracks form josh so hopefully i'll be rocking a remix soon, time willing.

yeah so re: the analog...i think a lot of "that" vintage sound comes from recording path as well, so a lot of process in this project will involve analog effects and bouncing to tape. i'm not totally averse to virtual (e.g. there are some pretty incredible reaktor ensembles out there), but primarily i don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to make something sound vintage. my secret weapons in signal path at this point are a boss dm-300 chorus/delay, and a few old reel to reels.

• Members

first post ... ? :poke: Somehow I doubt it ...

If I'm wrong ... sorry ... we have a sad serial "first-time" poster here who's always pretending to be somebody's he's not so people will answer his questions and get some attention ...

What is wrong with you? Are you paranoid? If you have an issue with someone you think is doing something wrong, have enough fortitude to PM Gus. I'm sure he has the tools to see who is who. I can tell you that I have stuck by my promise with Gus and the HC Adim's. Don't you think that new people might come here, people that have not signed up, but have watched as a guest for a long time. You could be scaring off people if you accuse people/newcomers to KSS. If you have nothing to offer a poster just do not post anything. It is that simple. Pure and simple. Pure.

Thank you.

ChasIII

• Members

People should not be afraid to ask questions in this forum, KSS.

I did PM Gus ... he hasn't gotten back to me ... when I hear back from HIM and he tells me something that makes me want to stop, I will ... In fact, I'll PM another mod right now ... anyway, Chas ... Do you think you're the only one aware of this?

The fact of the matter Chas, is that nobody can believe you after EVERYTHING you've pulled ...

... aren't you in the least bit ashamed??? I can't believe you have teh balls to post under your Chas screenname ...

I think YOU'RE the one who should go away ...

SO YOU'RE ONLY OPERATING UNDER ONE SCREENNAME ... ????

IS THAT CORRECT?

And anyway ... aren't you supposed to be ignoring me ... How is it you can read my posts is I'm "being ignored."

Please do your best not to engage me in dialog in the future ... I already told you I want no association with you anymore ...

Goodbye!

• Members

And anyway ... aren't you supposed to be ignoring me ... How is it you can read my posts is I'm "being ignored."

Please do your best not to engage me in dialog in the future ... I already told you I want no association with you anymore ...

Goodbye!

You just caused me to put you on ignore. I will give you a month to correct yourself. Thank you.

• Members

IIRC, John Carpenter used a Ensoniq SQ-80 for 99% of his old stuff. (If I'm wrong, someone will be along to correct me any minute...) Digital waves with a nice analogue filter - its a nice hybrid.

They can be had pretty cheap these days.

;)could be right for his late 80s stuff, but escape from new york and asssault on precinct 13 were around 78 -82 (?)..

• Members

32373418sa7.jpg

I notice you didn't deny my allegation ...

I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ... I notice you didn't deny my allegation ...

chas

• Members

Last word ...

I just heard from Paolo and he basically said to me, carry on ...

So, Chas, if you keep this up, apparently I have the authority to continue my vigilante-style moderating ...

set34hn1.jpgmommiedearestpo6.jpg

I now know, see and feel exactly what pighood, Don Solaris, Eric, etc. etc. etc. have seen for SOOOOOOOOO LONG ... Consider me indoctrinated ...

Carry on ...

Archived