OT: Damn my throat hurts!

rileykill

• Members

Do you guys ever get a sore throat from singing? We practiced for five hours yesterday getting ready for a gig on Labor Day and now I can barely swallow. It hurts bad. We are doing lots of two and three part vocal harmonies which is new for me. I hardly got any breaks from singing. It's awesome to be in a band that has the vocal talent to pull that off ... and I can hang (which kinda surprised me) but damn! It's pretty vicious.

Anyone experience this? Will I be ready for another rehearsal on Thursday?

• Members

Bro, it's going to sound corny--but you should take a few vocal lessons. You should never be straining your throat when you sing. You need to support down low and open your throat up.

I started going to lessons after I changed singing styles and was coughing up blood sometimes when we would practice. This is obviously REALLY, REALLY BAD.

Lessons, with the right person, even just a few will teach you how to sing properly. If you do rock, find a rock vocal coach in your area. If you do country, find a country person. Don't go for classical training, it's a waste. What we do is a bit different, we can't worry about standing in the right position.

BTW, even people like Dave Grohl who have mad grind to their voice do it with a proper technique. There's a technique for that, too.

Ask around, you'll find someone

• Members

Bro, it's going to sound corny--but you should take a few vocal lessons. You should never be straining your throat when you sing. You need to support down low and open your throat up.

I started going to lessons after I changed singing styles and was coughing up blood sometimes when we would practice. This is obviously REALLY, REALLY BAD.

Lessons, with the right person, even just a few will teach you how to sing properly. If you do rock, find a rock vocal coach in your area. If you do country, find a country person. Don't go for classical training, it's a waste. What we do is a bit different, we can't worry about standing in the right position.

BTW, even people like Dave Grohl who have mad grind to their voice do it with a proper technique. There's a technique for that, too.

Ask around, you'll find someone

good idea

• Members

Yeah I could use vocal lessons I'm sure. Unfortunately I don't have the time. I can barely make it to practices. I don't plan on doing intense practicing/singing like this in the future but right now we are in a time crunch. Hot tea it is! And it's always nice to have an excuse for not talking. I'm just glad it's not a virus or something. I guess vocal cords are muscles after all!

• Members
Do you guys ever get a sore throat from "singing"? We "practiced" for five hours yesterday getting ready for a gig on Labor Day and now I can barely swallow. It hurts bad. We are doing lots of two and three part "vocal harmonies" which is new for me. I hardly got any breaks from "singing". It's awesome to be in a band that has the "vocal talent" to pull that off ... and I can hang (which kinda surprised me) but damn! It's pretty vicious.

Anyone experience this? Will I be ready for another "rehearsal" on Thursday?

• Members

Yeah I could use vocal lessons I'm sure. Unfortunately I don't have the time. I can barely make it to practices. I don't plan on doing intense practicing/singing like this in the future but right now we are in a time crunch. Hot tea it is! And it's always nice to have an excuse for not talking. I'm just glad it's not a virus or something. I guess vocal cords are muscles after all!

Bummer. My advice to you, then: Don't sing. You're just going to keep hurting yourself. Seriously.

• Members

Thanks, Belt.

Tea is good, but no lemon. Lemon will dry your throat out and that's exactly what you do not want. Water is the best.

Oh, and you need to find some way to humidify your throat--since you've hurt yourself. Steam...whatever.

Great! I did use steam too when I had pain in my throat.

You boil some hot water, you put it in a cup.

Place a towel over the cup, put your head underneath and start breathing.

Not through the nose, but through the mouth. (the non-healthy way)

I can't remember if it really worked, but it won't hurt you.

• Members

Great! I did use steam too when I had pain in my throat.

You boil some hot water, you put it in a cup.

Place a towel over the cup, put your head underneath and start breathing.

Not through the nose, but through the mouth. (the non-healthy way)

I can't remember if it really worked, but it won't hurt you.

crocodile dundee style.....

minus the coke

• Members

Not bad. You forgot "pull that off" ...

Nah, I think that works fine outside of quotes. But, of course, everyone will probably have their own interpretation of what works best. Your original post is kind of a homoerotic rorschach test. It would make for a great Mad Lib.

Archived