What do i want? - Clueless Beginner Content :-/

Lemmings

• Members

Help!

I'm a guitarist at heart but i'm looking to get some keys to experiment with some more interesting texture and sounds. I've played some acoustic piano before, but i've really got no idea about synths.

I'm looking for something that can be droney and lush, and maybe do some more traditional piano and strings kind of sounds to be used in a experimental / post-rock context. Nothing too 80s or techno sounding.

The Alesis Ion caught my eye in terms of price, size and tweakability. Could it pull off the type of sounds I described? Anything else i'm overlooking?

• Members

Help!

I'm a guitarist at heart but i'm looking to get some keys to experiment with some more interesting texture and sounds. I've played some acoustic piano before, but i've really got no idea about synths.

I'm looking for something that can be droney and lush, and maybe do some more traditional piano and strings kind of sounds to be used in a experimental / post-rock context. Nothing too 80s or techno sounding.

The Alesis Ion caught my eye in terms of price, size and tweakability. Could it pull off the type of sounds I described? Anything else i'm overlooking?

Thanks
:wave:

Hello. I had an Alesis Ion for about 3 years. It is good for analog synth sounds. It can do some organ and electric piano sounds on a basic level. You can get synth strings out of the Ion but they will not sound like true strings. If you want actual realistic piano and strings sounds I would look into something other than the Ion.

Have you heard of the term "Rompler"? These are very good at producing a large variety of sounds. What is your budget? You could look into the Alesis Fusion. It has 4 different forms of sound production.

Virtual Analog

FM

Sampler/rompler

Physical Modeling

• Members

Hello. I had an Alesis Ion for about 3 years. It is good for analog synth sounds. It can do some organ and electric piano sounds on a basic level. You can get synth strings out of the Ion but they will not sound like true strings. If you want actual realistic piano and strings sounds I would look into something other than the Ion.

Have you heard of the term "Rompler"? These are very good at producing a large variety of sounds. What is your budget? You could look into the Alesis Fusion. It has 4 different forms of sound production.

Virtual Analog

FM

Sampler/rompler

Physical Modeling

Hey, thanks for the response. I really wouldn't want to spend more than the $600 that the Ion costs as its really just something to play around with at this stage. I have heard of romplers, but can they acheive some of the more experimental sounds a VA synth can? Maybe if I keep on with it I could add in a rompler to the set-up to complement the Ion's sounds sometime. Would I be right in assuming that I could use the midi-out of the Ion to control and play VST instruments for recording puposes? That might be another option.

Ps. I live in New Zealand so theres basically nothing to try out here, and I only really have the opinions and reviews of others to go on. I think I saw a Roland Juno-6 here once. Maybe. :freak:

• Members

Hey, thanks for the response. I really wouldn't want to spend more than the $600 that the Ion costs as its really just something to play around with at this stage. I have heard of romplers, but can they acheive some of the more experimental sounds a VA synth can? Maybe if I keep on with it I could add in a rompler to the set-up to complement the Ion's sounds sometime. Would I be right in assuming that I could use the midi-out of the Ion to control and play VST instruments for recording puposes? That might be another option.

Ps. I live in New Zealand so theres basically nothing to try out here, and I only really have the opinions and reviews of others to go on. I think I saw a Roland Juno-6 here once. Maybe.
:freak:

Yes, you could add a rompler later. When I played out live I had several rompers and added the Ion for the analog stuff I would have to do. It is my belief that a person can have better control using the Ion. When you change a sound using the knobs the sound will change. Yah, you could also use it to control VSTi's also. I did some of this. It could be helpful for you.

I do not think that a rompler can produce the same type of things people are looking for in an Ion.

Have you read the Harmony Central Synth Reviews? That could be another resource for you.

• Members

'course, the Fusion is a VA synth plus a sampling synth ... plus FM and PM, plus a basic sequencer and hard disk recorder. Just not a lot of knobbages.

But it fits all your criteria. And if you're looking for quick results, you won't be doing much VA sound programming anyway, so you don't need lots of knobbages.

Archived