Good Distortion Pedal for punk rock/ Alternative Rock music

ubaid88

• Members

If you're buying a Marshall amp and all you're playing is playing punk rock, you probably don't need a pedal. The amp's distortion should do just fine. Snatch up a JCM 800 if it's within your means, though for that polished pop-punk sound a Mesa Dual Rec or something might be better if you can afford one.

This is the best advice in this thread! Nail, head, etc.

• Members

If you're buying a Marshall amp and all you're playing is playing punk rock, you probably don't need a pedal. The amp's distortion should do just fine. Snatch up a JCM 800 if it's within your means, though for that polished pop-punk sound a Mesa Dual Rec or something might be better if you can afford one.

Exactly! Maybe you could ad an OD for a different color of sound on some parts but go first with the amp...

• Members

As has been said, get the Marshall before worrying about pedals.

Don't worry about all the haters in here... I listen to Green Day and Blink 182. Nothing wrong with that. But, +1 to the recommendation to check out The Descendents. Green Day and Blink are highly influenced by them, and they rule.

• Members

Sorry I was a dick earlier. I love Green Day, for whatever it's worth. +1 on listening to a broad range of Punk's earlier waves. SO much good {censored}, you'll never run out of new stuff to get excited about. . .

Rats really are excellent for this kind of stuff. I've got 3 and use them all regularly.

Two other pedals that might be worth your time:

1) Cheap EQ - If you already like the way your amp sounds, this can be a very kick-ass way to get more of it, or tweak it to your liking.

2) Fuzz Face - I play in a punk/garage band and keep coming back to FF based pedals over and over again. Monsterpiece NPN or Dunlop JH-F1 are both totally great & not too much $$$. Maybe not typically punk, but the Fuzz Face, esp. a Si FF w/ the volume rolled off just a bit is SO skronky. Put it between a Tele & a British Amp and you're going to have a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that MXR distortion someone mentioned earlier is a good choice for the kind of sound you're going for. The Fabtone has {censored} for headroom and it's FUZZY (though I will sell you mine if you want it : P). And don't buy Boss Pedals, that's lame.

As has been said numerous times here, the amp is the key. You're not going to need a distortion pedal AT ALL if you like the amp distortion, so get a Mesa or a Marshall TSL or something.

Archived