Green Russian vs. LBM

Johnonon

• Members

Sonically, how do the two differ?

I've heard the green but only at shows (Black Keys, Burning Brides) so I didnt hear it by itself, but it ripped pretty hard live

The LBM is really nice. Thick and sludgey, but it needs a hot amp or an od/boost after it to really bring it to life

I might be getting a green russian w/ true bypass for less than 100, and i wanted to know whats the difference between the two?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
the russian muffs suck, they are muddy with chords (like unplayable) and are way overrated.

:eek:

so not true

chords aren't muddy at all. the russian pedals rip. The green may be a little overpriced, I ab'd a green and a black and heard little to no difference.

the black big muff is amazing for the price imho

• Members

:eek:

so not true

chords aren't muddy at all. the russian pedals rip. The green may be a little overpriced, I ab'd a green and a black and heard little to no difference.

the black big muff is amazing for the price imho

well every one ive tried has been extremely muddy,sounded fine with notes but chords...{censored} it was bad,it sounded like playing chords on a bass but worse.

i agree, the black ones sound exactly like the green ones, no different in my experience.

the NYC RI is the best muff around aside from the opamp vintage version in my opinion.

• Members

I think J Mascis does boost his at times. I have seen him kick on a KOT when kickin it with a Muff.

not to mention Mudhoney stacked a BM with a Superfuzz, hence the record "Superfuzzbigmuff."

But it's true, stacking pedals sucks. If a Fuzz and a boost stacked together sounded remotely cool someone would've made a pedal with that in miind by now. Errrrr,

• Members

Sonically, how do the two differ?

I've heard the green but only at shows (Black Keys, Burning Brides) so I didnt hear it by itself, but it ripped pretty hard live

The LBM is really nice. Thick and sludgey, but it needs a hot amp or an od/boost after it to really bring it to life

I might be getting a green russian w/ true bypass for less than 100, and i wanted to know whats the difference between the two?

I have them both, but once i got the green russian BM i no longer used the LBM and thats all you need to know. i think Dan Auerbach's green big muff has been modded but idk. Nevertheless the green muff will get you really close to his tone. If all else fails buy a hoof fuzz;). Less than $100 for the green russian is a great price though i got mine for $165 (somewhat great shape cosmetically and it still has the battery cover.)

• Members

not to mention Mudhoney stacked a BM with a Superfuzz, hence the record "Superfuzzbigmuff."

But it's true, stacking pedals sucks. If a Fuzz and a boost stacked together sounded remotely cool someone would've made a pedal with that in miind by now. Errrrr,

This is very similar to what a Fuzz Head and the Screw Driver are actually.

• Members

i agree, the black ones sound exactly like the green ones, no different in my experience.

Umm.... I dont mean to disagree, but they are clearly different. I think the black is the wors muff ever on guitar. Sounds good on bass though. I got a LBM and I think it was EHX's attempt to make something similar to the green, but not quite as... warm. And mine is noisy as hell. There is something special in the green. Does anybody make a clone of it?

• Members

Umm.... I dont mean to disagree, but they are clearly different. I think the black is the wors muff ever on guitar. Sounds good on bass though. I got a LBM and I think it was EHX's attempt to make something similar to the green, but not quite as... warm. And mine is noisy as hell. There
is
something special in the green. Does anybody make a clone of it?

Absolutely Analog Green Russian

Earthquaker devices Hoof Fuzz (Similar but not a clone)

Archived