No idea what I'm doing...

Jelly_belly_83

• Members

Hey Guys,

I play in an acoustic pop-rock band. Acoustic guitar, cello, drums, lots of vocals. Our problem is that we're lacking in bass whenever the cello goes in its higher range. In the studio it's easy to just add another layer of cello for the lower end. The problem is performing live there's just not enough bass...and we don't want to add another member to the band (we've been together almost 3 years now and we feel it might just complicate things).

I was thinking of a really warm bass tone, something similar to an organs foot pedals. That "I can feel it in my chest, more than I can hear it" kind of sound.

So I was thinking maybe a organ-type midi controller. Like this:

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/b8/22/71d8_1.JPG

And maybe a small synth module. I'm not too sure, this is definitely not my domain. I have a limited budget of lets say $400 US (we're trying to save for our next album)...and even then I'd like to spend lower if I could.

Oh and I will be playing this along with my acoustic guitar at the same time. Boy am I glad we write pop songs. haha.

• Members

Well a Sub-Harmonic Bass Synth, or a pitch shifter will only get me whatever my cellist is playing only lower. Not exactly what I'm looking for. Mainly because the Cello often plays melodies (sometimes quite fast), and they would probably sound rather funny.

Looking for something that sounds like the low organ (or at least that's what it sounds like to me) on Max Richters "on the nature of day light" heard here: http://www.myspace.com/maxrichtermusic" at approximately 2 minutes in.

Thanks,

Justin

• Members

Have you considered kicking in a decent quality pitch shifter at those times that would double what you are playing on your cello but at one or two octaves below?

Hmm - that was my thought - mic up the cello and run it through a decent bass harmonizer or pitch shifter and just use a pedal to bring it in/out.

• Members

Well a
Sub-Harmonic Bass Synth, or a pitch shifter will only get me whatever my cellist is playing only lower. Not exactly what I'm looking for
. Mainly because the Cello often plays melodies (sometimes quite fast), and they would probably sound rather funny.

Looking for something that sounds like the low organ (or at least that's what it sounds like to me) on Max Richters "on the nature of day light" heard here: http://www.myspace.com/maxrichtermusic" at approximately 2 minutes in.

Thanks,

Justin

If I understand you correctly, you want to play bass lines with your feet? Sounds like that's your real question. You should search for reviews of the Fatar/Studiologic and Boss/Roland foot pedal controllers - these are basically keyboards that you play with your feet. Any MIDI module that the other peeps suggested will do for producing the bass sounds.

I was about to say the Electro-Harmonix HOG pedal tracks my cello surprisingly well, but that too is pitch-shifter and apparently not relevant at all to your situation.

How many people are in your band? I'm in a two-piece myself. I'm thinking of picking up a Roland SP-404 to play backing parts, particularly drums and bass.

• Members

If I understand you correctly, you want to play bass lines with your feet? Sounds like that's your
real
question. You should search for reviews of the Fatar/Studiologic and Boss/Roland foot pedal controllers - these are basically keyboards that you play with your feet. Any MIDI module that the other peeps suggested will do for producing the bass sounds.

I was about to say the Electro-Harmonix HOG pedal tracks my cello surprisingly well, but that too is pitch-shifter and apparently not relevant at all to your situation.

How many people are in your band? I'm in a two-piece myself. I'm thinking of picking up a Roland SP-404 to play backing parts, particularly drums and bass.

Exactly! I'll consider a pitch shifter for the cellist as well, I know that would probably come in handy here and there in our music (there are many times when the cello is double tracked a 3rd or 5th lower).

But you hit the nail on its head about me playing bass lines rather than just having the cello hit lower frequencies with the same melody.

I will definitely looking those suggestions..thanks!

Archived