Yamaha GX-1 "The Dream Machine"

Karma1

• Members

Last night I saw a program on VH1 about the making of Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" album. They talked a bit about a synth they were using at the time and called it The Dream Machine. Stevie demonstrated it and played some of his music on it during the show. I noticed at one point the name GX-1. It's a triple decker polyphonic analog synth that is huge - like a cathedral organ! I'm pretty familiar with synths, but have never heard of this one. Here's a link to info about it: http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html

I've always liked Stevie's music and had a lot of respect for him but it's increased since seeing him in action on this show. The man is amazing - he's an awesome drummer too!

Edit:

(I just tried the above link and it doesn't take you directly to the page - you have to click on Yamaha on the left side and then on GX-1)

• Members

They have the one Stevie Wonder played at Tussaud's wax museum in Las Vegas. I couldn't find a salesman with any headphones so I didn't get to check it out. The GX1 is big. I'm six five and there was plenty of room on that bench for me AND the eerily lifelike Stevie Wonder.

• Members

Brute force approach to polyphony that is worthy of the moniker "dream machine" because the only way you are going to own one is in your dreams. The console alone weighs over 800lbs, requires four weightlifting buddies to move one, will not fit through most residential doors, and requires reinforcing the floor so that they didn't collapse under the weight of the things.

You needed the optional programmer to store patches. The "programmer" required that each parameter be carefully set using a knob with two LEDs that indicated if you were off in either direction. When the two LEDs were lit, you could store the parameter. Note I said PARAMETER. You had to do this for EACH PARAMETER in a patch.

Wonder if "pinball idiot" is still trying to sell his GX-1? It's been up for auction since 2003 and has never gotten a single bid on it. Wouldn't have anything to do with the $140,000 opening bid? Naaaaahhhh.....

• Members

Wonder if "pinball idiot" is still trying to sell his GX-1? It's been up for auction since 2003 and has never gotten a single bid on it. Wouldn't have anything to do with the $140,000 opening bid? Naaaaahhhh.....

Well, at least he came down from $250,000!

Seriously, how much could one be worth these days? $25,000? $50,000? It may be primitive analog, but it still sounded amazing.....but yeah, where would you put it?

• Members

The best thing about the GX-1 is that it's really, really fun to play. The mini solo keyboard wiggles side to side for vibrato, IIRC; the knee controller is a blast; it's just fun.

The best thing about it sonically is the ring modulator. Just transistors, no chips. Overall the instrument is awfully tweazy for something of its size.

• Members

Less expensive (and more available) GX1: Buy two CS-80, MIDI retrofit both, MIDI together: instant GX1 (sans knee controller, solo board, pedals).

More affordable yet (by far): Two instances of CS-80V in your DAW, layer. Use SQ80/A80/MIDIboard for poly AT. 3rd instance of CS-80V MIDI'd to a cheaper controller, for solo-board. (Not the same experience by a long shot, but can get sonically close for some types of sounds).

• Members

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned keyboard whiz Rick Van Der Linden (RIP). He used the GX-1 prominently on at least three albums: GX-1 (1977), "Night Of Doom" (soundtrack, 1978) and "Wild Connections (1979).

If you haven't heard these I highly recommend you to check 'em out, especially "GX-1" which is very good.

GX-1.jpg

• Members

A good example of the wonderful lush unique sounds the GX-1 can produce is heard on the very last studio song Abba recorded.

Listen to Abba's "The Day Before You Came."

Almost everything (except percussion) was done with the GX-1. I have yet to hear anyone recreate those background strings generated by the GX-1. I read in Engineer Producer 20 years ago an interview with Michael Tretow, Abbas engineer, that often the synth strings would be sent out monitors at Polar Music Studios, and then mic'ed for that room ambience.

Anyone up for a VST eumlation for the GX-1?

Archived