TS-9 replacing my SD-1

deluxe74

• Members

As of now when I'm playing in my country band I'm using my SD-1 for my main dirty tone. I've got the drive at about 9 oclock and it has the right amount of dirt for my needs but with my new deluxe 65 reverb it sounds a little crunchy. Now I know most people use the sd-1 to boost an already distorted amp, but the deluxe doesn't have a distortion channel. I'm thinking if I repleace the SD-1 with a TS-9 that will get me a creamier bluesier sound, and in terms of solos I can use my rat or a clean boost. What do you think of this idea? Also, i've heard that it is very benifitial to mod the ts-9, should that be something that I should also look into or am I just thinking way to hard about it?

• Members

I personally don't care for the TS9 for anything other than leads. My OCD sounds way better to my ears as a substitute crunch channel, but YMMV

Is the ocd good for clean amps? Alot of ODs seem to only shine on the distorted channels on amps, with my amp not having one I really need a versital, great sounding OD pedal on amp cleans.

• Members

Is the ocd good for clean amps? Alot of ODs seem to only shine on the distorted channels on amps, with my amp not having one I really need a versital, great sounding OD pedal on amp cleans.

You'll have to ask about the OCD w/ Fenders - or do a search. But I can tell you that I really like the OCD on the clean channel of my amp.

I love the Tube Screamer (TS9, 808) for leads on an already driven amp. The OCD does that well too, but the OCD also sounds like a dirty amp channel. For example, I have a Tremoverb. I set one channel clean and the other dirty, but I use the OCD on the clean channel to get a second dirty channel that's slightly less gritty than the amp's dirty channel. So to answer your question, IMO, the OCD may work very well for you. Other people love the MI Audio Crunchbox too.

• Members

i have and use both

imho

as said above

the ts-9 is mellow, creamy, smooth, etc

I actually dont add much drive at all but i crank the gain

not crazy about the distorted sound of the ts-9

so I use it mainly as a boost with teeth.

the SD-1 has much more grit and teeth so I use it

for overdrive type distortion. but it has no low end

which in some cases is appropriate.

Archived