White Noise: Any Pedals Do This?

Sad Darwin

• Members

Do you guys know of any pedals that can add white/pink noise into your signal chain?

This is part of my ongoing quest to create a pedal board that includes all the best processing features of my Virus TI and Battery 3, only able to be stepped on (laptops get persnickety when you do that). I'm assuming no pedal does JUST white/pink noise, but is there at least something that does that as well (it would be nice at least as a side purpose for a pedal).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a song my band does called The Planet's Kerploding! where the.... well, the planet has to "kerplode."

I achieve this sort of white noise swell by turning a ZVex Machine all the way up, and sort of pounding on the body of my my instrument (no notes fretted, just letting the strings rattle) and doing a volume sweep fade in. The result is pretty much a big white noise wash.

I have a pre-distortion compressor and a post-distortion echo switched on, but the noise blast comes off really well.

• Members

Do you guys know of any pedals that can add white/pink noise into your signal chain?

This is part of my ongoing quest to create a pedal board that includes all the best processing features of my Virus TI and Battery 3, only able to be stepped on (laptops get persnickety when you do that). I'm assuming no pedal does JUST white/pink noise, but is there at least something that does that as well (it would be nice at least as a side purpose for a pedal).

A few pedals from Devi Ever do this.

What I would suggest though is getting one of those small mini mixers. They're relatively cheap. Then cook up a tasty noise patch on your Virus and route that, along with your guitar signal into the mixer, then the output of the mixer to your amp.

For more control you can add a volume pedal in between the noise and the mixer, so you can have as much noise as you want, or as little as you want, whenever you want.

I think I actually might pick up one of those mini mixers and do this myself :)

Just a little creative engineering is all it takes...and this way has the plus side of being able to route ANY sound into your guitar signal, not just a plain old white noise like you get with the Devi Ever stuff.

• Members

There is a song my band does called The Planet's Kerploding! where the.... well, the planet has to "kerplode."

I achieve this sort of white noise swell by turning a ZVex Machine all the way up, and sort of pounding on the body of my my instrument (no notes fretted, just letting the strings rattle) and doing a volume sweep fade in. The result is pretty much a big white noise wash.

I have a pre-distortion compressor and a post-distortion echo switched on, but the noise blast comes off really well.

Do you have a recording of this? I would love to hear that!

• Members

The prices seem to fluctuate wildly on ebay depending on the name the surf wah is branded as. If it says "Shin-Ei" it tends to sell for more regardless if the internals are all the same. The wah is very mild and there is a reverse wah to it as well. Its something you have to hear yourself. The surf and hurricane sounds are just white noise at a different pitch. The up and down motion of the pedal controls the noise.

Its my favorite wah sound though.

There is also the "Noise Swash" but for the life of me, I may be ridin' the short bus because I cant find a use for this pedal. Its got lots of settings but nothing I could see using for more than background ambiance and thats coming from a guy who plays noise guitar!

2ef1i6q.jpg

a noise swash video I found on youtube.

[YOUTUBE]_ZWBYVOuI9U[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I went through just about everything white noise for many years in an attempt to create this one. Lots of noise, feedback and chain saw fuzz.

ta6jph.jpg

In all that searching, the surf wah is the most basic and simple to use white noise pedal out there. Frankly im shocked nobody offers a direct clone of it.

Archived