Cable Length and Effects Loops

BigED

• Members

Personally I'd just use a buffer first in line to protect your pickups from loading in that first 35 foot run. It's only some vintage amps (and the occasional modern one) that don't have a buffered effect loop so I wouldn't worry about that at all. And because the loop is low impedance it means cable quality is less of an issue as well. You should be able to use more than 50 foot of cable in the loop with no issue.

• Members

Yep, nothing wrong with the Boss buffers IMO as long as you've got one to use out of the looper it'll do exactly what is required.

My 2 Boss pedals (Chorus and Delay) are both in the loop pedals, hence I don't want to use them before the input. When I use distortion, I go through a Maxon OD-9 tube screamer, then an ISP Decimator, then the amp input. I assume one of those pedals would buffer my signal.

But when I play clean, I use my true bypass looper to kick the OD-9 and Decimator out of chain. So my signal would go through 20 ft, then the true bypass looper, then 15ft of cable before hitting the amp input. I'm wondering just how bad of an idea that is.

• Members

But when I play clean, I use my true bypass looper to kick the OD-9 and Decimator out of chain. So my signal would go through 20 ft, then the true bypass looper, then 15ft of cable before hitting the amp input. I'm wondering just how bad of an idea that is.

That's why it would be nice to have a simple standalone buffer which you could use to drive that first 35 feet of cable. If you are handy you can make an excellent buffer for peanuts, but failing that, just get a low cost Boss pedal off eBay (or if you have a buffered bypass pedal in a cupboard somewhere, then use that), and put it between your guitar and the looper. If you do that and leave it permanently bypassed the line is always buffered.

If you are handy, have a go at something like this in a small Hammond box:

buffer-1.gif

• Members
That's why it would be nice to have a simple standalone buffer which you could use to drive that first 35 feet of cable. If you are handy you can make an excellent buffer for peanuts, but failing that, just get a low cost Boss pedal off eBay (or if you have a buffered bypass pedal in a cupboard somewhere, then use that), and put it between your guitar and the looper. If you do that and leave it permanently bypassed the line is always buffered.

If you are handy, have a go at something like this in a small Hammond box:

buffer-1.gif

Two questions:

1. Does a pedal buffer the signal when the pedal is on? My tube screamer is true bypass, so I know it doesn't buffer when it is off....but what happens when it is on?

2. Are there different quality input buffers, or is an input buffer an input buffer? Can I just buy an input buffer from somewhere, as opposed to making one? I wouldn't want to make a bad one that sucks my tone.

• Members

Two questions:

1. Does a pedal buffer the signal when the pedal is on? My tube screamer is true bypass, so I know it doesn't buffer when it is off....but what happens when it is on?

2. Are there different quality input buffers, or is an input buffer an input buffer? Can I just buy an input buffer from somewhere, as opposed to making one? I wouldn't want to make a bad one that sucks my tone.

The TS808 has an input buffer and so when the pedal is on, the buffer is in circuit. Having said that, some TS808 clones have removed this buffer (the Eternity for example). This shouldn't be too much of an issue though because when the effect is kicked in you expect it to change your overall tone and you can counteract any treble loss with the tone knob - or you may even prefer the highs rolled off slightly anyway if you have a bright amp and guitar.

There are different quality buffers and I'm sure there are some out there that aren't very good, but I find the simple 5 component buffers like the one in the diagram to work great without having to put a load more components in your signal path. There are a couple of options with buffers, the one shown is an opamp buffer, or you could opt for a transistor buffer. Both have their own advantages; the opamp buffer has a lower output impedance and so should in theory be capable of driving a longer line, but some people think they are so neutral that they sound cold or sterile. The transistor version is warmer sounding but with a higher output impedance and to reach unity to need to make sure you select a high gain transistor.

The circuits are that simple though I think everyone should have both just to experiment.

• Members

"The Maxon OD-9 has an input impedance of 500K ohm"

I assume that refers to the input buffer. Is 500K good, bad, or not necessarily good or bad?

A buffer has a high impedance input and higher is better because it makes it more sensitive to the output of the pickups. The diagram uses 1M ohm resistors for R2 and R3 which would make it a 1M input impedance. When I made that buffer I used 2.2 to make it even higher and know some pedal builders have effects with 5M ohm input impedance to make it ultra sensitive.

So you want a high number for the input and a low number for the output. 500k doesn't sound particularly high, but I'm sure the guys from Maxon know much more about the intricacies than I do.

Archived