P90 Appreciation Thread

rileykill

• Members

Can I just tell you guys how much I love P90's?!? I have been looking for a Gibson w/ P90's for several weeks and finally sat down to play some guitars today at lunch. I A/B'd a Gibson SG faded with 'buckers and a SG Classic. The P90's killed the 490R/T combo. They were punchy and seemed to have more output but were still fat. I expected them to be noisy but really didn't notice any hum. :love:

If you all have pics of your P90 guitars please post 'em!

• Members

Mean 90s in my Ibanez Artstar (ES-335 copy). Pure win.

FWIW, I had an SG w/ that 490/whatever combo. Decent, good actually, but W/ the Ibanez, I first put Gibby Classic 57s in there (AWESOME!), and then the Mean 90s (equally Awesome!, just different).

Sold that SG and never looked back.

• Members

I had a Gibson Studio Gem years back and I replaced the P-90's w/ JB/'59 buckers. The P-90's had too much midrange honk for the music I was playing at the time.

I now have a Gibson ES-135 w/ Harmonic Designs VP-90's. :love: I would NEVER get rid of the P-90's in that guitar.

• Members

The Bigsby on my Gibby stays in tune pretty well. I'll tune it with a Strobostomp, abuse the hell out of the Bigsby for 45-60 then afterwards when I re-tune the entire guitar will be SLIGHTY sharp. It stays in tune to itself and sounds in tune to the ear but the Peterson says she went a wee bit sharp.

• Members
Nick - ever thought about Bisby'ing your SG? I generally hate Bigsby's but I think they are the sexiest thing ever on faded SG's. Especially with those mean 90's
:love:

I have given it some thought actually.... I'm just never been convinced enough to pull the trigger.

• Members

I did it just for the looks but now that I have a vibrato I use it all the time. With my semi-hollowbody & compression pedal any note I sustain turns into very musical feedback. The Bigsby makes that soooooooo much fun! It also helps to add movement to songs with sustained chords.

• Members
I did it just for the looks but now that I have a vibrato I use it all the time. With my semi-hollowbody & compression pedal any note I sustain turns into very musical feedback. The Bigsby makes that soooooooo much fun! It also helps to add movement to songs with sustained chords.

I think I'd want to spend some time with a Bigsby'd guitar before taking the plunge on this one. I've played a few, but never for any length of time.... maybe I'll do that at some point. :idea:

Archived