Presonus FireStudio micro-review

ElectricPuppy

• Members

For anyone who cares:

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I like it. One thing I like in particular is that you can set-up a mix via the PC and then disconnect it. The FS stores the mix settings in its own Flash and you can run it stand-alone. I like that because it means if all I have is a few minutes to kill, I can sit down, fire up the gear pile and have at it, without having to boot up the PC.

I wish the line-ins had a bit more gain overhead, though. With my Polaris, for example, I have to crank the gain to max, which I think equates to somewhere around -20dB; Too bad it won't go a bit further, like -25 or so.

Downside: No Vista drivers yet. I'm running Vista on a quad-core, and already I've seen 2 BSODs while running Sonar using the available XP drivers. It also seems to get its clock messed-up frequently while running Sonar... no idea what happens, but I have to restart the FS and Sonar to get it back in sync. Vista drivers are due any day now, though.

Overall though, I give the FireStudio the coveted ElectricPuppy Lick of Approval. :thu:

• Members

Downside: No Vista drivers yet. I'm running Vista on a quad-core, and already I've seen 2 BSODs while running Sonar using the available XP drivers. It also seems to get its clock messed-up frequently while running Sonar... no idea what happens, but I have to restart the FS and Sonar to get it back in sync. Vista drivers are due
any day now
, though.

I seem to remember reading on gearjunkies that Vista drivers were released, like, this week..

Also, glad to here you like it. presonus gear is probably what I am going to replace my current setup with when I upgrade my PC after the first of the year.

• Members

I based my decision to get the FireStudio on my experience with the little FireBox, which was excellent. I just wanted more inputs. I was aiming for an FP10, but got a good deal on the FireStudio. The stand-alone operation was a surprise bonus.

To my knowledge, there are still no Vista drivers available for it just yet: http://www.presonus.com/downloads.html

Archived