OK, WANT

Loobs

• Members
For sure. To be honest, I'd just started using them and it was more pure noobism than anything. I didn't really know how to wire them up properly. Never had a problem since.

Yeah, and I bet you were cursing the money you spent on cables that didn't work! :eek:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup. Invaluable. Learning to be sparse with your playing and make the best out of the least is so worth it. I played in my HS jazz band throughout school. I like to think that it helped me as a player. It's cool in learning how you can use fragments of chord voicings (ie. without the root or playing chords across the whole neck of the guitar).

+10000000

Totally allows you to sculpt your sound to fit the song.

• Members

I'd love to play in my high school's jazz band, but the band director is a total douche and won't let me because i don't play in the marching band. I do take jazz classes where i take guitar lessons though. Right now i play in a three piece Reinhardt type band, two guitars and a violin. I hated it at first, but its growing on me and i've learned some cool voicings. And that {censored} is some of the most athletic stuff i've played for my right arm.

• Members
I'd love to play in my high school's jazz band, but the band director is a total douche and won't let me because i don't play in the marching band.

Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices

... like play saxophone :facepalm:

(Actually, that's how I learned to read music, so no regrets!)

• Members
Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices

... like play saxophone
:facepalm:

(Actually, that's how I learned to read music, so no regrets!)

That wouldn't have been a bad idea. It's senior year, so too late. I wish i had joined band in middle school, though i would rather learn a string instrument than a brass. Playing cello or upright would be so badass.

• Members

That wouldn't have been a bad idea. It's senior year, so too late. I wish i had joined band in middle school, though i would rather learn a string instrument than a brass. Playing cello or upright would be so badass.

They do that at your school? We were stringless up here.

So, who has love for the band geeks? At least I had sports to hide that a bit. :rolleyes:

FYI, the sax is a woodwind!! :mad::mad:

• Members
They do that at your school? We were stringless up here.

So, who has love for the band geeks? At least I had sports to hide that a bit.
:rolleyes:

FYI, the sax is a woodwind!!
:mad:
:mad:

Nah, a district next to us does, much bigger school though, and its a totally {censored} school otherwise.

:facepalm: You're right, i always think its a brass.

• Members
So, who has love for the band geeks? At least I had sports to hide that a bit.
:rolleyes:

Dude, I was a total band geek in highschool. I would hang out in there during my spares with my other band members at the time, we were good friends with the teachers and everyone in jazz/concert band were good friends. Hung out after school, had parties, whatever. We all still talk.

So many good times, I learned a ton in that class and in jazz and concert bands. Played trumpet in concert, and guitar in jazz.

• Members
Dude, I was a total band geek in highschool. I would hang out in there during my spares with my other band members at the time, we were good friends with the teachers and everyone in jazz/concert band were good friends. Hung out after school, had parties, whatever. We all still talk.

So many good times, I learned a ton in that class and in jazz and concert bands. Played trumpet in concert, and guitar in jazz.

:wave: Yep, I'd head over during free time too.

I'll admit, after soph year in HS, I only did band so I could do jazz. It was still fun hanging out with everyone and we killed in competitions, but that was when I started to see myself more as a guitarist than a saxophonist.

Plus, my HS band director was way too much into Wagner... hooray for funeral marches! :facepalm:

• Members
Plus, my HS band director was way too much into Wagner... hooray for funeral marches!
:facepalm:

hahaha, brutal. We had two guys, one of them was a flutist, really eclectic guy who would bring in a bunch of exotic instruments from his worldy travels and show them to us. My favourite was this giant quartz bowl that you would slide this mallet around the rim like you were playing a giant wine glass, and the thing would just sing a drone note, really loud and we all jammed over it. Super cool.

My other teacher was a dead ringer to Chevy Chase, played trumpet and loved the {censored} out of Maynard Ferguson. He took us to a concert of his in Montreal, front row... and let me tell you, that man could push some air. We always covered Maynard tunes, lots of fun. Holy {censored} I wish I could go back to those days.

• Members

hahaha, brutal. We had two guys, one of them was a flutist, really eclectic guy who would bring in a bunch of exotic instruments from his worldy travels and show them to us. My favourite thing was this giant quartz bowl that you would slide this mallet around the rim like you were playing a giant wine glass, and the thing would just
sing
, really loud and really cool.

My other teacher was a dead ringer to Chevy Chase, played trumpet and
loved the {censored} out of Maynard Ferguson
. He took us to a concert of his in Montreal, front row... and let me tell you, that man could push some air. We always covered Maynard tunes, lots of fun. Holy {censored} I wish I could go back to those days.

Wow, dude, you brought up a memory... I PLAYED WITH HIM. We had a special jazz concert at the HS where he sat on a couple songs with us and then he did a set with a small group. You're absolutely right, dude's got lungs!!

• Members

Wow, dude, you brought up a memory... I PLAYED WITH HIM. We had a special jazz concert at the HS where he sat on a couple songs with us and then he did a set with a small group. You're absolutely right, dude's got lungs!!

Yeeeaaahhh!! Killer! Consider yourself very lucky.

• Members

Yeeeaaahhh!! Killer! Consider yourself very lucky.

OH I DO!!!!

I wish I could say this was part of an awesome guest star series... but no. Only other "musicians" the HS brought in were some dick acapella singers who thought I threw tots at them in the cafeteria. Not true. Besides, tots are delicious, they are meant to be eaten, not thrown.

Archived