Cheapo Phasers

Atomic Sitar

• Members

is it basically just a small stone without the volume drop. I saw he adds a feedback trim to it as well. How is it?

Describe please...

Frankie,

Yes, it has the feedback trim but I haven't messed with it at all. I ditched the original I had because of the volume drop issue and I soon missed the pedal. I never knew of a mod that corrected the problem until I read about it here. I contacted AnalogMike and he sent me an new/modded one within a week.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/product_p/eh%20small%20stone%20with%20mod.htm

• Members
I like it. I've definitely not found it getting lost in the mix with distortion pushed into it. A phase 90 with distortion into it is way over the top in my book. The 45 is a nice phaser if you're using something before it like that.

hmm, i've always kept it phase->>dirt w/the p45, perhaps old dog should try new tricks :idea:

the micro has had a few diff versions over the few-year run, but afaik, they're all p90 knocks (the one above is my 4th, they've all been about the same). i'd not be surprised if compnent drift or mini-pot tweak accounts for the diff from p90 depth.

regardless, one of the best phasers ever, imho.

• Members

is that why my 90's phase 90 sounded like it was distorted?

it was supposed to do that?

i thought it was broken

i tossed it

horrible imho

its a side-effect of the FET-based design, very much noticed by the orig makers, and left like that. in some apps, it can be perfect, others not so much.

• Members
hmm, i've always kept it phase->>dirt w/the p45, perhaps old dog should try new tricks
:idea:

Yep, try the phase after the dirt. I always use any modulation after dirt. Otherwise it gets lost in the mix. Most phasers after dirt can be total over the top but will not be lost in the signal chain (i.e. putting phase before dirt). If you have a phaser that has a depth or mix knob on it you can pull it back so it's not so over the top. A micro phase or phase 45 is absolutely thee most perfect phase if you are using distortion in your signal chain. Or if you can pull the depth down on a more robust phaser down to those territories you're going to be loving it.

• Members

I use my Nano Small Stone after distortion. When I'm playing clean I like the color switch up and when I'm playing with distortion I like the color switch down.

Does the color switch basically make the thing a Phase 45 vs. 90 (whatever those numbers mean)? Or is it something totally different?

I adjust the rate as I feel appropriate for the musical idea I'm trying to convey.

• Members
Yep, try the phase after the dirt. I always use any modulation after dirt. Otherwise it gets lost in the mix. Most phasers after dirt can be total over the top but will not be lost in the signal chain (i.e. putting phase before dirt). If you have a phaser that has a depth or mix knob on it you can pull it back so it's not so over the top. A micro phase or phase 45 is absolutely thee most perfect phase if you are using distortion in your signal chain. Or if you can pull the depth down on a more robust phaser down to those territories you're going to be loving it.

except while a phaser's speed can be modulated, its a filter device (no pitch modulation like w/chorus or flanger) :p couldnt resist, my apologies.

the only phasers i've had "lost" issues with, pre dirt, are the 2stagers. i always throw small stones near the end of chain, because of its lack of real lo-depth, but copies of s.stone with full-on controls (ross, maestro club-foot phaser) i put early in chain, pretty much always gtr-->comp-->phaser-->od/dirt. hmm.......

definitely will give it a try. the micro, and other Chewie phasers, will also go through some shuffling too as soon as my broken left wrist, second in 8weeks, is healed. theres definitely a lot of sonics i can uncover, thanks for the suggestion :cool:

note to self: near-religious habits may not always reveal pedals' full potentials.

• Members

Rule of thumb, always put your modulation pedals at the end of your signal chain. Phasers, tremolos, vibrato, leslie effects. Otherwise they get lost in the mix of your signal chain. A distortion pedal will clamp down on and make a signal clip. That does not work with an effect that modulates. You have peaks and valleys with a modulation effect, and a distortion effect wants to level that out, making it into a mush. The opposite is the modulation effect will modulate the distorted signal giving you something that's a modulated signal.

• Members
Rule of thumb, always put your modulation pedals at the end of your signal chain......

phaser aint modulation though, same as the OOP positions on a strat are not modulation. its in phase, out of phase, yada yada, but its all about phasing, not pitch modulation/modulated signal; only the speed of the phase-switch is modulating, er, modulable(?). sure, i'll go with you on dist's clamp-down nature, and what that brings w/it, but aside from the 2stagers, i've never run into disappearing phaser. perhaps the dirt's gain knob was dialed high enough ;)

i usually find dirt-->phase a bit (way) too much, but, in order to get the 201s effect i'll give that a try. cast off in two weeks.

hooya:

Does the color switch basically make the thing a Phase 45 vs. 90 (whatever those numbers mean)? Or is it something totally different?

phase 45 is a 2stage phaser, phase 90 is a 4 stage. as far as what that might mean, think subtle and less subtle, but not subtle like dialing the rate/depth down on the stone. both the p90 and stone are 4stage, but of different designs which accounts for the added thickness of the stone (as well as the lack of added overdrive).

maybe something like this:

phase45 = t shirt, or tanktop
phase 90 = generic cotton sweatshirt, w/lint all over it
sstone = champion sweatshirt

• Members
Don't hate.
:cop:

No hate, I just find it too cute.

L6Sguy, thanks for the explanation. I got a little lost, which is expected since I haven't played on a 45 or a 90 or their clones. I knew that the versatility of the Stone would fit my instrument well though, and I'm happy with the sound, although sometimes I wish there were more depth control or at least a center position on the color switch! :blah:

• Members
No hate, I just find it too cute.

L6Sguy, thanks for the explanation. I got a little lost, which is expected since I haven't played on a 45 or a 90 or their clones. I knew that the versatility of the Stone would fit my instrument well though, and I'm happy with the sound, although sometimes I wish there were more depth control or at least a center position on the color switch!
:blah:

the old ross phaser is of the small stone family, as is the big ol Maestro (balls/speed version), so there are available options for expanded controls w/that sound. the rosses are easy to find & relatively cheap, the maestros a little tougher and pricier.

edit: the old dod 490 is also quite stone-y, with seperate knobs for speed & depth. i know theres more but i'm drawing a blank now.

as for sonic examples of phase 90, the first halen album and the pistols record are easy hits. p45 i dunno of any off the top of my head, all i can come up with is obtuse analogies :idk:

• Members
Frankie,

Yes, it has the feedback trim but I haven't messed with it at all. I ditched the original I had because of the volume drop issue and I soon missed the pedal. I never knew of a mod that corrected the problem until I read about it here. I contacted AnalogMike and he sent me an new/modded one within a week.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/product_p/eh%20small%20stone%20with%20mod.htm

You just made me GAS for this!!!! :mad:

Archived