Do you feel silly bringing a giant pedalboard to a small gig?

RJpilot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Those should easily fit on a PT-2...hardly a large board. If you lost the reverb, you might even be able to squeeze them onto a PT Jr...

I will have to do some looking for a pt-2. :idea:

I constructed my own board, but its just a board with a riser. I guess I'm just not happy with the connections. The little power wires that voodoo lab supplied are not very reliable any more. At the is moment I feel like my board is a weak point in my signal. And troubleshooting at a gig is not my idea of a good time. The riser is to accomodate the Pedal power btw. I'll grab a pic and throw it up...

• Members

I have a fairly big board (approx 11 pedals on a PT Pro) But i've never felt silly taking it to any gig. I do polan ahead however, so if i knew my band would be playing a shortened set, I'd scale down just for simplicity's sake.

If we're playing the whole set though, i use the big board; regardless of the venue size. All the pedals on my board serve a purpose, so I don't worry about the board.

I agree with these guys though- I would feel totally silly about taking 2 4X12s almost anywhere. My "big" amp rig consists of a Gibson combo and a Tiny Terror into a 4X12. I rarely use that set up right now.

• Members
n1532037422_30058413_7294.jpg
Its a friggin mess. My power cables don't reach everywhere. I end up using a daisy chain for the stuff on the bottom. and those planet wave make em yourself are too stiff for flexibility needs. Its really more of a burden to me.

I think I need some george Ls...Damn gas:mad: And I have no Money after all my xmas shopping.

http://www.pedaltrain.com/pedaltrain2.aspx
The pt-2 looks nice. This might make taking a board a bit easier. Having a case and everything. I like the fence approach. It leaves room for stuffing untidy cables under the board, but if I stuck a power supply on there, the amount if usable real estate goes down alot. Do most folks use batts? No way, you would have to unplug each pedal on your board after each use. Solution? Doesthe pp-2 fit under the board? ...The website says yes..."most any" I hate it when folks use conditional absolutes. Its like saying "definitely maybe."

• Members

but if I stuck a power supply on there, the amount if usable real estate goes down alot. Do most folks use batts? No way, you would have to unplug each pedal on your board after each use. Solution? Doesthe pp-2 fit under the board? ...The website says yes..."most any" I hate it when folks use conditional absolutes. Its like saying "definitely maybe."

You can fit a PP2 under the board. I'm pretty sure that the newer designs have the cutouts for the power cable and courtesy AC jack.

I know that neither of my pedaltrains did, so I had to improvise. On my Jr, a drilled out the holes...it works perfect and looks identical to how PT did it. On my Pro, they (I have 2 on it) just happen to fit perfectly, without any drilling. I just can't use the courtesy AC without a small extension.

You can also mount pedals to the PP2 if you really want to.

I'm also pretty sure the Dunlop Brick fits...it's smaller than the PP2, so I would figure it does. I don't have one to verify that info though...

• Members
Huh? Why are they not very reliable any more???

You can fit a PP2 under the board. I'm pretty sure that the newer designs have the cutouts for the power cable and courtesy AC jack.

I know that neither of my pedaltrains did, so I had to improvise. On my Jr, a drilled out the holes...it works perfect and looks identical to how PT did it. On my Pro, they (I have 2 on it) just happen to fit perfectly, without any drilling. I just can't use the courtesy AC without a small extension.

You can also mount pedals to the PP2 if you really want to.

I'm also pretty sure the Dunlop Brick fits...it's smaller than the PP2, so I would figure it does. I don't have one to verify that info though...

Yea, the newer PT models are capable of housing the PP2 or Supa Charger underneath. The older models can't because of the placement of one of the bars. If you can't fit it underneath, you could always pop some velcro on top and stack a pedal on top of it... :)

• Members

I don't. I usually will bring a hand full of pedals and comp what ever was on recording with what I have or go without.

Around here there is a vibe that your are a total dork if you go up with more than a few. I saw some guys that opened for us get booed and dissed during their setup because the two guitarist and bass player all had massive boards on planks. "Though crowed, though crowed" :facepalm:

I love pedals, I just think you can do it live with just a few live. Give me a wah, distortion (with the right amp in a small club I don't even need that if I had to part with it) and a DMM (maybe a tremolo if the amp does not have it) and I can comp just about anything with those and my fingers. :thu:

• Members

I recently slimmed down from this:
pedalboardZupdated.jpg
To This:
DSCF5551.jpg
I didnt downsize cause i felt silly, it was mostly cause my big homeade board doesnt have a case and because it was super heavy. My smaller case has a cover and handle. Good thing cause at my last gig someone spilled beer on my pedalcase. My other guitarist has a bit bigger board and we both use 4x12's. People tell us we're "too loud", but thats the whole point of it i guess. We cant get the sound we like if we aren't deafening people.

• Members
Around here there is a vibe that your are a total dork if you go up with more than a few. I saw some guys that opened for us get booed and dissed during their setup because the two guitarist and bass player all had massive boards on planks. "Though crowed, though crowed"
:facepalm:

:confused:what does "though crowed" mean? And why did they get booed and dissed because of pedals? where do you live?

• Members

it always goes back to what's in the head and the hands doesn't it
:idea::thu:

That's it in a nutshell. I've got a few amps and I pick them depending on the venue or project I'm working with at the time. That pretty much is the deciding factor if I need a distortion pedal live and as to what kind on my board.

The rest is on an absolute needed basis. I really don't like much between my guitar and the front end of the amp playing live. Not to mention setup time. Murphy's law always dictates some bad {censored} is going to come up right at the worst possible moment.

If you are in a rush and had a couple Jack and Cokes finding that one patch cable that has gone bad or unplugged since you left your rehearsal spot turns into a whole production. :facepalm:

• Members
That's it in a nutshell. I've got a few amps and I pick them depending on the venue or project I'm working with at the time. That pretty much is the deciding factor if I need a distortion pedal live and as to what kind on my board.

The rest is on an absolute needed basis. I really don't like much between my guitar and the front end of the amp playing live. Not to mention setup time. Murphy's law always dictates some bad {censored} is going to come up right at the worst possible moment.

If you are in a rush and had a couple Jack and Cokes finding that one patch cable that has gone bad or unplugged since you left your rehearsal spot turns into a whole production.
:facepalm:

you don't just play open mics at the coffee shop???:eek::eek::eek:

• Members

I feel like I'm bringing 2 4x12s to a bar just to play a show. Don't get me wrong I like having all the options but I don't really care for having so many different "things" plugged in to my signal. I could prolly get away with a dirt box and a tuner. I am trying to cover all the sounds I think I would need but do I need a phaser, vibe, flanger etc...

A delay could be important too. So I am up to three pedals that I need yet I have 8 on my board. My bandmates make fun of me too. "Your always dancing on somin." etc...

Hell I could get away with no pedals (save a tuner) if I brought my Rivera, but with my current band my bassman just fits the bill so perfectly.

no, i feel like a prince when i waltz in with my large case and then unveil the contents to the plebs:thu:

Archived