Music theory

polar69

• Members

I'm the exact inverse, I can learn most songs quicker with sheet music. The piano roll view I have a harder time with for some reason...should be easier right?

not neccessarily. I only had a few years of piano lessons, but have had going on 18 years of working with sequencers. Its kinda like how I took 4 years of spanish in highschool, but have been speaking english all my life - which do you think I am more proficient at?

• Members
Does having an understanding of music theory help with composing

Reading music and music theory are not really the same. There are also level of ability in reading music. Depending on what you play a lot of musicians can read treble clef but not bass clef, etc.

• Members

Reading music and music theory are not really the same. .

Correct. A lot of young classical musicians can read anything, yet have an extremely limited knowledge of theory. Music theory is essentially about the relationship between chords, as well as the overall structure of a piece. Some players might be able to read and play a Mozart Concerto, but they dont know much about even the basic form of it i.e. Exposition-Development-Recapitulation.

College theory gets quite complex when you get into counterpoint classes.:eek:

• Members

A lot of young classical musicians can read anything, yet have an extremely limited knowledge of theory.... Some players might be able to read and play a Mozart Concerto, but they dont know much about even the basic form of it...

Interesting. Do you see that as a recent development, or have there always been classical musicians who are ignorant of the form? I ask because I teach high school students who can take a standardized test and learn basic facts, but have no critical thinking skills (i.e., theory) with which to apply what they've learned.

• Members

Interesting. Do you see that as a recent development, or have there always been classical musicians who are ignorant of the form? I ask because I teach high school students who can take a standardized test and learn basic facts, but have no critical thinking skills (i.e., theory) with which to apply what they've learned.

Ah, the differences between knowledgeable, clever, wily and wise.

• Members

I think they have the critical thinking skills, just not the interest. Obviously, classical musicians have to read at the highest level: there are very few rehearsals. Last nite's show had an hour rehearsal for a two hour show, so you are reading in the show (it was pops/broadway stuff). Theory-wise, one doesnt really have to know that a particular chord is an inverted 9th chord to play it in tune and in time. Only those who compose, arrange or conduct really have to nail that stuff.

Everyone who goes to music college will take theory. It's considered the class you skip to practice for your instrumental lessons.:lol: College theory can be very tedious and somewhat ineffectual. It's a lot like high school algebra.

I'm always amazed with Paul McCartney, who supposedly cant read music. Pure talent at writing melodies, just an innate talent. He probably knows a ton of theory yet isnt aware of it.:lol: He (and others like him) have an understanding that is purely natural, he knows the relationships between chords, and knows how to craft a melody. He was born with it.:thu:

• Members

I think they have the critical thinking skills, just not the interest....

I'm always amazed with Paul McCartney, who supposedly cant read music. Pure talent at writing melodies, just an innate talent. He probably knows a ton of theory yet isnt aware of it.
:lol:
He (and others like him) have an understanding that is purely natural, he knows the relationships between chords, and knows how to craft a melody. He was born with it.
:thu:

Yes, I agree that high school students don't have the interest. But I think the critical thinking skills are glossed over in favor of test prep, which is what passes for public education these days under No Child Left Behind.

I had no idea that classical musicians don't have much rehearsal time. I had always assumed that nailing a symphony took weeks.

Maybe I'm amazed with Paul McCartney, too!

• Members

Last nite's show had an hour rehearsal for a two hour show, so you are reading in the show (it was pops/broadway stuff).

And even at the community orchestra level, you are expected to be able to immediately read and play a piece of music that was just set in front of you.

Archived