NOOB question Modelers and Amps

Beach Hound

• Members

This may or may not be the right place for this but IO figure the guys and gals with the experience are here so here goes.

I've been playing around with a Line 6 Pocket pod and I love most of what it does. Though headphones its pretty good. Running it into either of my amps..pretty good also..but I wonder how much the amp changes the modeled sound. I assume it's like playing a CD though an amp. The simulated cabs etc get altered by the charaterisics of the tubes. Especialy when the amp starts to breath. Am I correct?

Would the best thing be a SS amp with no coloring of the signal?

I am looking into a late Christmas gift to myself of a POD XT live so any advice before I get one is appreciated.

• Members

If you don't want any sound coloration, then you should go with a hi-fi amplifier and studio monitors.

Any guitar amp will color the signal, that's what guitar amps and their speakers do. They are all designed to add their own character to the guitar tone.

I would say the best and cheapest thing for you to do is to fiddle around with your amp tone controls to find a setting that works well with your pocket pod.

• Members

You can run with your amp but it sounds best going into the power section only and with the cab sims off. The other options to take the best advantage of the sims is to use a FRFR (full range flat response) system like a keyboard amp or powered monitor.

Atomic Amps and Tech 21 make amps designed for modelers also. The Atomic versions have tube based power sections and the Tech 21's (called Power Engine 60's) are SS.

I just had a Tech 21 Power Engine arrive today to run with my Tonelab. I would love one of the Atomic Reactors but they are hard to find used.

• Members

Not sure about the XT, but I own the X3Live and it has several different output options so you can adjust the unit to its output. You can set it to run infront of a combo, half-stack, the power amp section of a combo or half-stack or direct into the FOH. I use a Boogie power amp with a cab, and have the output set to direct, which is what I've found to be the best sound for my setup. YMMV.

Archived