Help me pick a reverb

burning tires

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Fix'd

Mm... The Holy Grail + has better tonal control and sound than the Holier Grail - it just has a gated reverb. Which I can't figure out to use effectively in my playing. And the Holiest Grail doesn't have a toggle to go between Spring/Room/Hall. Instead, you choose a basic reverb, and modify it to sound like what you want. Lots of fiddling to get the sound you want with those little sliders. You can do the 4 presets though... But it doesn't have Flerb! :cop:

What kind of reverb are you looking for? Nice, ambient reverb, drenched, surfer reverb, or a reverb that just takes all the empty space and makes it into nice, warm sound?

Little Lanilei Reverbs are nice :)

• Members

What kind of reverb are you looking for? Nice, ambient reverb, drenched, surfer reverb, or a reverb that just takes all the empty space and makes it into nice, warm sound?

dark, large, deep, wet, nothing subtle, I'm not looking for spring sounds, I've got 2 amps with accutronics 9 series tanks so I don't really need any more spring reverb. Halls, caverns, stuff like that.

• Members

thanks, that seems like it would be good for straight up rock, but not anything crazy. I'm looking for balls out spacey reverb.

the holiest grail would probably be your best option. tons of tonal control. it can do simple short room reverbs to insane infinite decay reverbs. love mine. it also has a weird resonator setting which sounds awesome. heres the old PGS demo of it.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I watched a video of that and the "octoverb"? sounded cool but the rest seemed kind of generic

I just watched a different video of this one, the proguitarshop vid left me unimpressed, but The other video showed some cool sounds, and this is dirt cheap too, I might try this first, and get something else after shopping around for a while.

I'll see what I can actually try locally.

thanks

• Members

i loved all of my THREE holy grails til they each died... so kind of tarnished my opinion. verbzilla is on my list to check out... not much else out there really for big wet and spacey 'verb.

Have no idea but the Hardwire Reverb is meant to be BIG yeah?

• Members

Is that typical, or just really bad luck?

Bad Luck. EHX ARE a little less durable than Boss, but just be more gentle and don't stop on them super hard... I know people that have had them for years with no problem...

They ARE the producers of Big Muff Pi, Memory Man, among others, and I don't think they'd be where they are at now if reliability was too big of a issue.

• Members

Bad Luck. EHX ARE a little less durable than Boss, but just be more gentle and don't stop on them super hard... I know people that have had them for years with no problem...

They ARE the producers of Big Muff Pi, Memory Man, among others, and I don't think they'd be where they are at now if reliability was too big of a issue.

I've never had any major problems with EH pedals, I was wondering if it was specifically the reverbs. faulty chips in those models or something like that.

• Members
dunno... i just checked youtube vids and there were quite a few comments with regards (lack of) reliability

i honestly think those comments come from people who have no experience with their products or are just recycling what they hear somewhere on the interwebs. ive owned and used a ton of different EHX products (smmw/h, holy grail, holiest grail, big muff, russian big muff, clone theory, small clone, nano small stone, etc.) and have yet to have a problem. granted the build is not as solid as boss or digitech but i would say im my experience EHX products has proven very reliable. :thu:

• Members

I just got the Hardwire. Doesn't do anything too over the top, even with the delay and level knobs maxed. Sounds great otherwise.

The only unusual or crazy thing it does is reverse reverb. I've already found a few uses for that, such as laying down a baseline using my Micro-Pog and ebow while banging the low E with my whammy bar. :thu:

• Members
i honestly think those comments come from people who have no experience with their products or are just recycling what they hear somewhere on the interwebs. ive owned and used a ton of different EHX products (smmw/h, holy grail, holiest grail, big muff, russian big muff, clone theory, small clone, nano small stone, etc.) and have yet to have a problem. granted the build is not as solid as boss or digitech but i would say im my experience EHX products has proven very reliable.
:thu:

fair enough... but MY experience is with 3 bad ones... and the tech that tried to fix em said they see quite a lot of newer ehx reverbs... so... anyway just MY experience.

• Members

The Rocktron Cyborg Reverb [and the delay] is being blown out at MF for just $99.99 [normal street price is $219.00].Mine does the real deep and lush reverbs quite well,sounding like a high quality rack reverb and not small and detatched,like with many other reverb pedals.The Cyborg pedals use the same Motorola DSP engine as used on Rocktron's higher end rack stuff.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Cyborg-Digital-Reverb-Pedal?sku=150193

Ed

Archived