Behold my new (old) synthesizer

kyrreca

• Members

Why not just REPLACE the battery with a new one? That way, you'd still be able to save / recall presets.

It's a hassle, but nearly all the old gear that can store / recall presets need to have their batteries replaced every ten years or so - it's just part of the maintenance that goes along with old / vintage gear.
:)

Yeah, I'm gonna replace it, I just need to order the parts first. Thankfully, there are a lot of resources on the web on how to care for these units. I just wanted to get the old battery out of there as soon as possible, as I've heard so many horror stories about leaking batteries, destroyed PCB and whatnot.

• Members

Yeah, I'm gonna replace it, I just need to order the parts first. Thankfully, there are a lot of resources on the web on how to care for these units. I just wanted to get the old battery out of there as soon as possible, as I've heard so many horror stories about leaking batteries, destroyed PCB and whatnot.

phil is, once again, CORRECT.:wave:

and you have done the proper thing, which is get the old battery OUT of there before it leaks.

once you replace it, you can then download the audio file of the original factory presets, which are actually pretty decent.

then you have 32 mem slots for your sounds!

seriously, i can't say enough good things about the poly 6. stick it next to nearly any modern ROMPLER type keyboard, or many virtual analog machines, and listen to the difference. it's pretty significant. analog still wins!

• Members

Polysix (Polysics!) is one of the finest affordable analogue synths, for sure. Juno 60 is the one for bass, but for pads and leads, can't beat the Polysix.

There's also a cool Korg computer program that has a virtual Polysix and MS-20. Neat stuff. I'm not saying you can find it on torrents or anything... but you can.

• Members

when you install a new battery why not install it in a plastic case somewhere out of reach of the circuit-board (where i assume it was soldered) and run wires to the new plastic case inside the polysix

it will save yourself worrying about future leakage

I'll be using this guide, and replace the NiCad battery with a lithium battery to ensure that nothing will go wrong (with the battery at least) in the future.

• Members

one of the BEST polyphonic synths, and it's ANALOG!!!!

try to find another for under $1,000, or $2,000, or $3,000.......there ain't any.

looks nice and clean to me. do you have a good synth repair guy anywhere near you?

get that mem battery replaced, and then load in the factory presets.

just tweak the arp, set up a nice dreamy patch, and let it burble away
:thu:

one of the best pad machines ever made! seriously.....it's a dream machine.

+1

great synth

sadly mine was ruined (but not before i played it on a Prince record. listen to the intro to 'i wanna melt with you' by prince. thats me playing mine)

congratz on a MAJOR win

• Members

You've recorded with Prince? :eekphil: Seems like everyone who's tried the P6 likes it. I must say I'm loving it a lot myself.

I tried tuning it today, but I couldn't find the trimpot for the keyboard scaling. The manual I found is for an older version that has a small PCB where the trimpot is placed. On my keyboard the small PCB has allegedly been integrated in the big PCB for the oscillators, but I can't find it anywhere. :confused:

So, you can hear in the clip that it's a bit out of tune. You can also hear that I'm not completely familiar with it yet, and that I'm not much of a synth player (yet). ;) Sorry about all the weird noises, they're easier to make than actual music. :thu:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=895106&songID=7218998

• Members

Man, this thing is a lot of fun. Best music related purchase in a long time, makes me wish I'd gotten a synth a long time ago. BTW, does anyone know about any good online resources for learning to play keyboards? I don't have any problems with the theory, but my technique needs a lot of work.

I just ordered a battery holder and some coin cell batteries, so I'll get the presets working soon. For now, I've found a settings list for the factory presets, but it'll be nice to be able to switch between sounds without tweaking a bunch of knobs.

• Members

no seif -- i mean find another polyphonic analog synth OTHER than the poly 6.......like jupiter 6, jup 8, memorymoog, yamaha cs-80, etc.....ALL of those are much more than $1,000.

the old juno's are usually fairly reasonable. I see the 106's around town for under $500 sometimes. sometimes 300, though usually 600-700. I got mine for $100 because they didn't know what they had. :wave: the juno 60s tend to be slightly more.

the polisix is an excellent synth! nice score! :love:

• Members

no seif -- i mean find another polyphonic analog synth OTHER than the poly 6.......like jupiter 6, jup 8, memorymoog, yamaha cs-80, etc.....ALL of those are much more than $1,000.

the poly 6 stands alone as one of the only affordable (still) polyphonic analog synths with memory, and in that, it is unique

Oberheim Matrix 6, 6R, and 1000 (basically one in the same, two racks one keyboard)

I own a Polysix and used to own a Matrix. The Oberheim's are actually better with better patches, MIDI and better reliability. Check out the 1000. Tiny one rack unit all analog. Depeche Mode had a wall of these for their live tours and was an intricate part of their sound from their late 80's early 90's dark era. You can pull up patches from anyone of those units and you can instantly hear tons of famous songs written out of them.

• Members

Nice one man. I've got a mono/poly. I love it and the polysix because you can pull a lot of sounds that don't instantly scream 'Hey! this is a synth!'. If you know what I mean.

Enjoy!

Thanks, man. At the moment I am enjoying the most over the top cheesy synth sounds, but I guess I'll get around to exploring the more tasteful tones some time. :p

Archived