hardshell vs. soft case for Yamaha S80

slunk0132

• Members

I'm shopping for a Yamaha S80, and a case for it. It'll be leaving my house 2-3 times a month for gigs, and will be in my car along with my guitar rig. Ideally I would like to get a hardshell case for it, and I'm looking for some used ones on eBay. They seem a bit overpriced when they're new, and from some reviews I've read on Zzounds, the quality is iffy, even for a $300+ case. From what I've read on here, some cheap cases, such as NY Cases/Island Cases are also a bit on the {censored}ty side.

I'm tempted to get a soft case/bag, only because my budget is quite limited at the moment, and I have a gig I need the board for in a few weeks. My worry is that it won't protect the board properly (esp. the protruding knobs), especially since it will be packed in my car with other gear.

Is a bag adequate protection for casual gigging, or is a hardshell case a must? Does anyone have any suggestions for specific bags/cases that fit a Yamaha s80 well?

• Members

I store my S80 in a GigSkins GSK8 softcase. I generally store the S80 in a closet, in the case, but also transport it to gigs about as often as you want to. I haven't had any problems after using it for over a year.

The case itself has held up reasonably well -- a little fraying on the decorative stuff, but no serious damage. I use the external pockets to carry cables, pedals, power cord, and a DI box.

I considered getting a hard case, but the weight was a major factor. The S80 already weighs 50lbs, adding a heavy case makes it pretty hard to lug around. (yeah, yeah classic keys weigh more. shush)

• Members

I store my S80 in a
softcase. I generally store the S80 in a closet, in the case, but also transport it to gigs about as often as you want to. I haven't had any problems after using it for over a year.

The case itself has held up reasonably well -- a little fraying on the decorative stuff, but no serious damage. I use the external pockets to carry cables, pedals, power cord, and a DI box.

I considered getting a hard case, but the weight was a major factor. The S80 already weighs 50lbs, adding a heavy case makes it pretty hard to lug around. (yeah, yeah classic keys weigh more. shush)

Actually I need a new one for a S-90

• Members

I carried my S-90 in its Yamaha/SKB hard case for a few years, before shifting over to a soft case. I think you can get away with a soft case if you are the only person lugging it around -- and if you tend to be a careful person generally. But if others will be handling your stuff, loading it into the band van with everything else - get a hard case. The Yamaha soft case worked well - the wheels really helped.

The Yammy soft cases are pretty good. Tho the one I had for my Motif7 lasted only about 6 months before the side handle started ripping out. The S-90 case seemed to be built better.

• Members

I've had the Motif8 case for my S90ES for about 2 years, and only take it out a few times a month, and it's falling apart. One of the wheels tore out of the bottom and the main handle on the side is starting to rip. I'm probably going to need a hard case for it soon unless one of the other soft bag type cases are better built.

• Members

I had a gigskins case for my SL-990, which didn't fit in anything else. The extra long gigskins case was too big but better than nothing. That bag was trashed within 6 months of gigging every other weekend but a hard case would have been too heavy for me to lug.

I put the SL-990 monster in the band room and bought a Roland 88 key (RD-300SX) and found out that it doesn't have a case either. Sheesh. I custom ordered one for about $350 and it's perfect. Hard and sturdy with rollerblade wheels and doesn't add much weight. It's been a little over a year and beyond some 'character building' scratches, it's still working perfectly.

• Members

I had a gigskins case for my SL-990, which didn't fit in anything else. The extra long gigskins case was too big but better than nothing. That bag was trashed within 6 months of gigging every other weekend but a hard case would have been too heavy for me to lug.

I put the SL-990 monster in the band room and bought a Roland 88 key (RD-300SX) and found out that it doesn't have a case either. Sheesh. I custom ordered one for about $350 and it's perfect. Hard and sturdy with rollerblade wheels and doesn't add much weight. It's been a little over a year and beyond some 'character building' scratches, it's still working perfectly.

Who did you order your custom case from?

• Members

I've been carrying my ES7 around in a Kaces semi-rigid bag. To help protect the knobs, I have a board just behind them placed between the back of the keyboard and the bottom of the case that's a couple of inches higher than the knobs. It helps I think. But my board is 10 pounds lighter and several inches shorter than an S80. It's light enough to carry without dragging it on wheels.

If you end up with a soft case I'd recommend it.

• Members

Who did you order your custom case from?

Custom Keyboard. I'm pretty sure it was keyboardcases.com but that link brings me to a site that's temporarily unavailable. I'll do some more checking in my papers to see if I can get a better answer for you.

• Members

Don't even bother with soft cases for a big keyboard like an S80 if you are gigging. I have no comprehension for why anyone would use a soft case for a keyboard like this.

This is what I use for my boardz and it is the shiznit. Don't go with anything else. Custom ATA is reasonable and will last forever.

cases.JPG

• Members

The problem is... cases that size would seriously cut into my idea of getting in all into my Hyundai Elantra. ;) But if you don't have to move your boards two-three times a week, and are making enough off gigging to afford to gas up a van, sure.

But you are right Eric... soft casing an S80 is really pushing it. Anything bigger than my ES7 in a soft case would be a problem for me. And I'm really careful with just it. During load-up it cries shotgun, and gets it every time. :cool:

• Members

Don't even bother with soft cases for a big keyboard like an S80 if you are gigging. I have no comprehension for why anyone would use a soft case for a keyboard like this.

This is what I use for my boardz and it is the shiznit. Don't go with anything else. Custom ATA is reasonable and will last forever.

cases.JPG

Eric that is good advice as much of a pain in the ass the cases are. I may get a Hammond chop in a case like that soon and can hardly wait to tote it around!!:eek:

• Members

The problem is... cases that size would seriously cut into my idea of getting in all into my Hyundai Elantra.
;)
But if you don't have to move your boards two-three times a week, and are making enough off gigging to afford to gas up a van, sure.

Here's what I can fit in my Saturn Ion (with one passenger):

One flight case for an 88 key stage piano

One soft case with a yamaha S03 in it

Two guitars in a double gig bag

One large speaker, one amp head

Medium to large sized suitcase holding all the cables (about 24) and other piano accessories

my purse and a small bag with water, red bull, and gig clothes

two medium sized gym bags with all the guitar stuff in them (along with more gig clothes)

One pedal board

I can't recall an Elantra off the top of my head but I'm thinking it's about the same size as an Ion, right?

Go with a hard shell case, it's worth it.

• Members

Slunk0132 said: From what I've read on here, some cheap cases, such as NY Cases/Island Cases are also a bit on the s----y side.

Even those cheap "ATA" cases mentioned above are better protection than a soft case. No matter how careful you are you will at some time drop, bash, or scrape the soft case and it doesn't take much to break off a key or some other item. The cheap "ATA" cases are also light weight and you can get them with wheels for a few bucks more...well worth it. I have the real deal ATA cases and I have some of the cheap ones too. For local gigging I use the cheap ones as they weigh much less....but for the long haul road gigs I use the ATA good stuff.

• Members

Here's what I can fit in my Saturn Ion (with one passenger):

One flight case for an 88 key stage piano

One soft case with a yamaha S03 in it

Two guitars in a double gig bag

One large speaker, one amp head

Medium to large sized suitcase holding all the cables (about 24) and other piano accessories

my purse and a small bag with water, red bull, and gig clothes

two medium sized gym bags with all the guitar stuff in them (along with more gig clothes)

One pedal board

I can't recall an Elantra off the top of my head but I'm thinking it's about the same size as an Ion, right?

Go with a hard shell case, it's worth it.

Hey that's pretty good. Here's what I stuff in my Elantra GT Hatchback when I'm playing a one nighter as a single (one man band):

18' sub on casters

Two Bose 801s

Two four space racks

Four space DJ shuttle with mixer top mounted

Keyboard, speaker, mic, and laptop stands

Cord case

... and riding shotgun up front: Motif ES7 in a semi-rigid Kaces bag

And we're full up!

• Members

Hey that's pretty good. Here's what I stuff in my Elantra GT Hatchback when I'm playing a one nighter as a single (one man band):

18' sub on casters

Two Bose 801s

Two four space racks

Four space DJ shuttle with mixer top mounted

Keyboard, speaker, mic, and laptop stands

Cord case

... and riding shotgun up front: Motif ES7 in a semi-rigid Kaces bag

And we're full up!

It's the subs and the racks that are doing in you in. I'm lucky that we have a trailer for all the racks, subs, speakers, sound board, amps, monitors, lights, mic stands, etc. Now, I leave both keyboards on the trailer and only have to carry the bag with all the cables and accessories back and forth. I have the full set up (except direct boxes and midi module thing) at home so we can rehearse during the week now without me carrying the keyboards and stands back and forth. The guitars and guitar stuff still go back and forth but we have room for more (don't tell the guitar player!). :)

• Members

A cute statement, but not true if the keyboard isn't with the rest of the equipment. It's up front aways.

I've got a van, and I still use it at times. But here's the deal: My regular Friday night gig tonight is over 50 miles away. And this one is typical of what I do... just one night two Fridays a month. Saturday's is 35 miles from home. I've got a Christmas party next Tuesday that's 70 miles away. It's Hyundai time!

A trailer defeats the whole idea. I'd probably get almost the same mileage with my Nissan Quest as I would pulling a trailer with the Hyundai.

This whole thing was a priority of mine for this year... either putting a Hyundai-sized rig together for these one-nighters facing the new reality of fuel prices, or stop playing. Every piece has been carefully thought out. I need them all. The racks are the smallest I could get.

Up until this year I've used hard cases since having an automatic door close on me and a soft cased keyboard, which broke a few keys. But this case is much more robust and I've got extra protection around the most fragile part... the knobs. I'm the only one moving it and I don't drink. I think I'll be OK but I understand your caution and why it may not be for everyone and all keyboards. Soft casing something as large, and with protruding knobs, as an S80.... I don't think I'd try that one either.

• Members

I'm shopping for a Yamaha S80, and a case for it. It'll be leaving my house 2-3 times a month for gigs, and will be in my car along with my guitar rig. Ideally I would like to get a hardshell case for it, and I'm looking for some used ones on eBay. They seem a bit overpriced when they're new, and from some reviews I've read on Zzounds, the quality is iffy, even for a $300+ case. From what I've read on here, some cheap cases, such as NY Cases/Island Cases are also a bit on the {censored}ty side.

I'm tempted to get a soft case/bag, only because my budget is quite limited at the moment, and I have a gig I need the board for in a few weeks. My worry is that it won't protect the board properly (esp. the protruding knobs), especially since it will be packed in my car with other gear.

Is a bag adequate protection for casual gigging, or is a hardshell case a must? Does anyone have any suggestions for specific bags/cases that fit a Yamaha s80 well?

do you drop your boards down the stairs or have drunken drummers help you move your gear ?

Archived