Used V-Synth XT vs. Roland SP-404

girevik

• Members

We see the SP-404 frequently recommended, and used by lots gigging bands, to play backing parts and other sample playback duties.

But lately I'm seeing more V-Synth XTs on ebay with lower prices. Anyone use an XT for SP-404 like duty with their bands?

• Members

I think the advantage of the 404 is that you can stream samples off the flash card, so in theory you can have all you backing for a show loaded up at the same time. Also the phrase sampler is more suited to loop playback than the synth style of the VS.

The V-Synth (I have the keyboard, pretty sure it has the same sample memory as the XT) actually doesn't have all that much room for samples, the actual time depends on how the samples are encoded but it's not really suited for loop playback. Not to say it can't do it, it's just that the engine is a lot deeper and synth style playing is a lot more immediate. You could use the different zones and the programmable arp to make whole tracks, even with analogue modelled drums, but the programming would be a lot more complicated than the simple 'load a sample, hit record on the sequencer, hit the pads' way of working with the 404.

I'd still rather have the XT if I had to choose between them though, V-Synths are beasts!

• Members

I have both ... they serve different but similar functions ... what I plan to do for my live shows in the future (both were recently acquired) is load up the 404 with loops created with the V-Synth ...

the V-Synth is about sample mangling / creation while the 404 is suited for playback with some effects options ...

• Members

XT is overkill if you just need something to do "dumb" triggering with;

No, what would probably happen to the XT in our band is that our vocalist/songwriter would use it for processing voice - the built-in Vocal Composer card would probably be a huge attraction for her. She'd also trigger whatever odd sounds she found within it that fit her songs. She loves noise. She's using my Nord Modular G2 for these roles already. The only thing the G2 can't do is sample playback. So she'll get the XT, and I'll get my G2 back.

Diametro, it probably does make sense to get a separate machine for phrase sample playback. Thanks for weighing in.

• Members

eBay V-Synth XTs cheaper than SP-404s?

What I meant was that prices seem to be dropping on V-Synth XTs on eBay, not that they are now lower than SP-404s. On rereading my initial post, I could see how it could have been misleading. Sorry.

• Members
No, what would probably happen to the XT in our band is that our vocalist/songwriter would use it for processing voice - the built-in Vocal Composer card would probably be a huge attraction for her. She'd also trigger whatever odd sounds she found within it that fit her songs. She loves noise. She's using my Nord Modular G2 for these roles already. The only thing the G2 can't do is sample playback. So she'll get the XT, and I'll get my G2 back.

Note that to switch the V-Synth XT from Vocoder mode to sampler mode and back, you have to perform a soft-restart, which, depending on how big your sample library is, may take a couple of minutes.

• Members

Note that to switch the V-Synth XT from Vocoder mode to sampler mode and back, you have to perform a soft-restart, which, depending on how big your sample library is, may take a couple of minutes.

This is quite a consideration to take note of.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Archived