What happened to all of the pedal reviews?

• Members

threads from folks who cannot figure out where to spend their $, & need a poll. no mention of sounds needed, functionailty wanted, etc. frequent use of words like best, better, transparent, translucent, opaque, organic, etc.

threads re: pedal in the post. you should get one, i read its the absolute best.

threads re: heres my new pedal, and lots of pics, and i havent plugged it in yet.

threads re: used my pedal last nite in my bedroom, but i read about something else that is even more betterer. start poll thread re: next purchase. start another thraed asking for pricing ideas.

rinse, repeat.

then add:

threads re: i am almost done with my board, i just need to spend more money.

threads re: what would you change on my board.

threads re: wow, actaully used Pedal X last night. this is the best pedal ever.

threads: now thta i know this is the best pedal ever, what is the next pedal thats besterer, but cheaper.

threads re: can i power the besterest pedal with a PS model X?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I don't really get it -

if someone buys or trades for a pedal, and they receive it, and they're excited about it, and they think it sounds nice, and they want to post a couple sentences about this experience,

you want them castrated?

• Members

if someone buys or trades for a pedal, and they receive it, and they're excited about it, and they think it sounds nice, and they want to post a couple sentences about this experience,

you want them castrated?

oh god you must be one of those young ones they warned me about!

• Members

you want them castrated?

no, that's almost exactly what the OP was asking for. it's the threads that go something like...

NPD

got this in the mail today

here's a picture

this thing is awesome

i'm trading it for this tomorrow

and then repeat every 3-5 days depending on shipping times

oh god you must be one of those young ones they warned me about!

Not much in the way of substance in that response,

but yes! I am. : )

no, that's almost exactly what the OP was asking for. it's the threads that go something like...

NPD

got this in the mail today

here's a picture

this thing is awesome

i'm trading it for this tomorrow

and then repeat every 3-5 days depending on shipping times

I think the line is a lot finer than these fellas are making it out to be. I'm okay with all the posts most of you guys seem to find so obnoxious - I like when people want to know about RATs for the 52405209358th time. And I like trying to help them make an informed decision, even if it's in a one-word response. Maybe they'll google that one word and learn something...? I don't think huge energy expendature is necessary or, at times, any more helpful than those one-word posts.

And people can flip gear and show off the gear they're flipping if they want; it seems kind of silly, and it's fun to call them on it sometimes, but I don't know that it's something to pretzel your undies over. If you don't like it, inundate the forum with threads you'd find more enjoyable - you know, like, leading by example...?

How about removing "NPD" from our vocabulary? I know it makes me cringe when I see it in a thread title.

Yeah, see,

that, I think, is way more indicative of the actual problem. It seems as if the connotations that some of these buzzwords hold are way more annoying to you than the actual posts, seeing as how it isn't really the majority of the people using them at fault. I...well, I THOUGHT I had read a bunch of NPD posts that don't look like gear-whoring (to me) over the past few months. No?

I do it when i get a new pedal and make a clip of it.

Of course, i dont make NPD thread unless i have clips of it
:idk:

Ah, is that a serious issue as well? I don't have the means to provide clips - does that mean I should keep any new pedal acquisition to myself lest I offend you guys further?

• Members

Ah, is that a serious issue as well? I don't have the means to provide clips - does that mean I should keep any new pedal acquisition to myself lest I offend you guys further?

Well, I dont really care...

I mean if its a pedal im interested in, ill ask what your opioion of it is. I mean I've asked that a couple times and the response i got was something a long the lines of "i havent played it yet." Thats what urks me.

At least play the damn thing before you post it and tell us what you think of it. I know better then to click them half the time because i know its just going to be a picture with a comment like "coming to me today!!"

Well, I dont really care...

I mean if its a pedal im interested in, ill ask what your opioion of it is. I mean I've asked that a couple times and the response i got was something a long the lines of "i havent played it yet." Thats what urks me.

At least play the damn thing before you post it and tell us what you think of it. I know better then to click them half the time because i know its just going to be a picture with a comment like "coming to me today!!"

hahah I think that's more than fair.

And your posts are always amazing because I read them imagining the janitor speaking them.

• Members

the bottom line is most people don't care what pedal you've just bought, a few will be interested because it's something they were thinking of getting themselves, but without some clips or at least a good detailed review is isn't going to be much help to them either is it? So it just comes over as 'Look what I have, lucky old me' which gets really boring after a while. Unless it's something unusual I really can't see the point of it.

NPD: Big Muff, we all know what one sounds and looks like, so who the {censored} cares if you bought one? ..... and the people that don't know what one sounds like won't be any the wiser from "it's the tits, look at the pics" than they were before.

If there is no point to a thread, it's simply point-less. Too many pointless threads and the forum becomes pointless....and before people chime in going "interwebz serious bizniz" yeah, you're the people i'm talking about. :wave:

• Members

i personally enjoy seeing "NPD" on thread titles. when i first joined, i was always in awe of all of your setups. it still doesn't get old. i guess i'm such a gear head that i'll never tire of those threads. still, if you keep this place saturated with nothing but pedal threads like in the days of yore, that will get old fast. besides, all the OT threads are inevitable. people form friendships and at some point want to talk about day to day {censored}. even if it's mundane and moronic, it's nice to just have fun.

the bottom line is most people don't care what pedal you've just bought, a few will be interested because it's something they were thinking of getting themselves, but without some clips or at least a good detailed review is isn't going to be much help to them either is it? So it just comes over as 'Look what I have, lucky old me' which gets really boring after a while. Unless it's something unusual I really can't see the point of it.

NPD: Big Muff, we all know what one sounds and looks like, so who the {censored} cares if you bought one? ..... and the people that don't know what one sounds like won't be any the wiser from "it's the tits, look at the pics" than they were before.

If there is no point to a thread, it's simply point-less. Too many pointless threads and the forum becomes pointless....and before people chime in going "interwebz serious bizniz" yeah, you're the people i'm talking about.
:wave:

Right, but in this complaint, you're exhibiting the same self-centered ethos that's annoying you so badly, aren't you?. Clearly it IS exciting to someone who has never used a Big Muff - your having used many doesn't diminish their excitement or impulse to share said excitement.

How is their lack of your experienced perspective any different from your lack of their less experienced perspective?

EDIT: I want it to be very clear that I DO share your hatred for "this is the tits *insert pics* *insert flip 3 days later*," but I want to be very clear about what is ACTUALLY THE PROBLEM. And it isn't NPD threads period. It's NPD threads with no information or an exceptionally clear show&tell&flip attitude.

i personally enjoy seeing "NPD" on thread titles. when i first joined, i was always in awe of all of your setups. it still doesn't get old. i guess i'm such a gear head that i'll never tire of those threads. still, if you keep this place saturated with nothing but pedal threads like in the days of yore,
that
will get old fast. besides, all the OT threads are inevitable. people form friendships and at some point want to talk about day to day {censored}. even if it's mundane and moronic, it's nice to just have fun.

Neat.

• Members

I gotta be honest... even when people provide reviews, for the most part I don't give a {censored} what you say about pedal X unless you post a clip.

And even then, it still doesn't matter that much if the clip is just one guitar playing Third Eye Blind riffs or whatever.

As far as gear reviews and demos go, the effects forum fails so hard compared to the amp forum. Clips are all over the place there, often with a full backing track with bass and programmed drums.

Archived