OT: Zen Guitar

ryanwekwert

• Members

I recently got this book as a gift. Thinking that it was going to be lame as hell. On my 5 hour flight to LAX I read it and wrote aton of notes while reading. This book is amazing! Does anyone have it? Has anyone heard of it? It opens a few different doors on learning and makes you think. This book is more for real and open minded people. Sorry this post is so stoner talk but I had to post.

• Members

That book changed my life and my outlook towards playing the guitar.

I picked it up about 5 years ago at a Barnes & Noble after the book literally fell off the shelf. I took it as a sign to buy it. I read it and was so moved that I decided to email the author, as his website and email address was in the book. His wife responded a few hours later. I was saddened to learn that he had passed away from cancer a few years prior....but she was appreciative to my words and liked hearing from those whose life has been impacted by that book.

• Members
That book changed my life and my outlook towards playing the guitar.

I picked it up about 5 years ago at a Barnes & Noble after the book literally fell off the shelf. I took it as a sign to buy it. I read it and was so moved that I decided to email the author, as his website and email address was in the book. His wife responded a few hours later. I was saddened to learn that he had passed away from cancer a few years prior....but she was appreciative to my words and liked hearing from those whose life has been impacted by that book.

way cool :cool:

• Members

I'll definitely check it out...although I'm very wary of this new age application of Zen concepts. This guy is clearly reputable though, not just some hippie.

Meh. It's not some cracked out cult movement. It's more of a "outside the box" method of thinking about your instrument. It's actually not even about the guitar. What's cool is that you can read what he wrote and apply it to what you do, however you want to apply it.

• Members

A friend was telling me last week that he was a bit frustrated with his guitar playing, that he was not making progress, that he was not up to par with the people he plays with, and so on.

I gave him my copy of Zen Guitar. I read it many years ago, and don't remember specifics of the book, but had the feeling that my friend would find it useful. I enjoyed reading that book.

http://www.maui.net/~zen_gtr/index.html

• Members

I'm in a bit of shock:

"Philip Toshio Sudo passed on from this life June 9, 2002 at age 42 while listening to One Sound One Song."

I was unaware of his situation. I'll check the rest of the Zen Guitar website...

Cancer IIRC

• Members

A regular at my coffee shop gave that book to me a while back. It's certainly interesting. I like the idea of picking up my guitar with a sense of purpose.

For the record, I hate the hippies, but I dig this book.

Hippy is pretty different from Zen.

That said, I really enjoy the book. A girl I was dating years ago gave it to me. It's not a bad idea to pick it up every now and then. See if there's anything that you've been forgetting about. It's got some great advice, in general, and I've found that after following and keeping in mind some of the teachings found within the book, my stress level has dropped quite a bit.

Archived