Keane jumps vintage electromechanical shark

willi

• Members

That is {censored}ing stupid.

Now it's time for me to go back to working on that mellotron project of mine, where I take apart an M-Audio 61 keyboard, have it trigger an Akai S5000, all in a mellotron cabinet...

Hmmm...

/At least I'm not wasting a real mellotron.

• Members

very, very stupid :rolleyes:

I wouldn't expect such a stupid thing from a band who based their sound over a pure Yamaha CP. What's next ? a CP70 having its guts out so it can contain an Emu sampler ? ;)

Reminds me of that picture of Alicia Keys with the Yamaha JP8... :D

2078877mf9.jpg

• Members

hmmz...yeah I saw that before. I don't really care whatever they play as long as they sound good. Initially the band were also using an ARP Pro/DGX onstage which wasn't a good idea really.

The real problem is that live, they were kind of a disappointment to me as too much comes from laptop backing and they sounded constrained. I have no principal problems with laptop backings on stage but here, the fun and drive got lost in the performance.

Songwise they are one of my favorite bands now. Some harmonies are just unreal...

• Members

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just build a new case instead of gutting an old one?

it would have been easier to vacuum form one ..

that is.. worthless. that reminds me of the lame mods the emo kids would do to tape players to fit ipods into them. just for the hee hee i'm retro giggles. I think it smacks of trying too hard.

speaking of your melotron .. why dont you build something like the guy who made his out of walkmens using looping tapes?

• Members

Lame poser shark jumping for sure, but I don't weep for any Stage 88.

Most of you horrified people have never played or owned a Stage 88. Every one I ever tried to play was almost unplayable. I carried one on the road for 4 years and hated it. I made all the pedestal mods, worked on that action for weeks, and it still sucked.

A Suitcase 73 on the other hand, might have a 1 in 20 chance of being a nice instrument.

• Members

What's the deal with all the folks trying to hide the fact they're playing an electronic keyboard? I saw an off-Broadway Ray Charles tribute show here in wk earlier this year and the orchestra pianist had a Roland digital piano in a grand piano shell. I'm not so much concerned about an old keyboard being gutted but more about the trend to put a synth in a piano.

I read an article in KEYBOARD long ago that pertained to sampling orchestral instruments and it mentioned the way in which a study was performed wherein a sampler was used to play a passage and listeners deemed it fake sounding. The same passage was then played on the same sampler but with a violinist miming the part and everyone was convinced they were hearing a real violin.

I've never seen a stack of synths on a stage and dismissed the act without LISTENING first. I think we can trace this back to MTV if we really need someone to thank.

VERY weak.

Archived