My Big Muff died...I think...

Carlos&Cambria

• Members

Can you take a clear photo of the solder side of the PCB? *EHX uses a board-mounted pot for the NYC Muff (and all their other old-skool stuff) - not at all uncommon for the traces to crack. Any chance the nut on the shaft is also loose? This is usually how this happens. . .

*I'm pretty sure this is true, but I'm second-guessing myself. I've had 2x NYC Muffs and modified them both, but it's been a few years. Anyhow - gutshot please.

• Members

Check the stomp switch connections. The wires they use are so thin they can break just by being bent a few times. Also check the topside of the pcb. Use a multimeter to see if it's connected.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that tomorrow at college.

I'm afraid it might be the pot though...anyone know what kind of pot the big muff uses?

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that tomorrow at college.

I'm afraid it might be the pot though...anyone know what kind of pot the big muff uses?

Resistance should be marked on it once removed, pretty hard to kill a pot though. Check connections at the lugs before you take it off.

• Members
while its not a muff clone, i would too
:thu:

oh and the NYC (and 99% of all Muffs) use 100K (linear) pots for all volume, sustain, and tone controls.

Cool, thanks for the info!
I shall check the connections tomorrow with a multimeter and see if the pot is working, if its not I'll replace it if it is...I'll cry myself to sleep ... and use it as a reason to get another fuzz :cop: ... but hopefully its just a bad connection or pot.

• Members

Cool, thanks for the info!

I shall check the connections tomorrow with a multimeter and see if the pot is working, if its not I'll replace it if it is...I'll cry myself to sleep ... and use it as a reason to get another fuzz
:cop:
... but hopefully its just a bad connection or pot.

Looking back on your original post I think the problem goes back to that disconnected groud wire. The ground on a potentiometer has alot to do with how it functions.

Try reconnecting the wire, and give it a go.

Pic for reference (ignore the red arrow):

BMPguts.jpg

• Members
Looking back on your original post I think the problem goes back to that disconnected groud wire. The ground on a potentiometer has alot to do with how it functions.

Try reconnecting the wire, and give it a go.

Pic for reference (ignore the red arrow):

That actually makes a lot of sense, I shall solder tomorrow! thanks for the pic :thu:

• Members

bad news, i just came back from re-soldering the loose cable (as well as anything that looked fragile or whatever), tested the sustain pot with a multimeter, the resistance DOES vary, but when I plug it the amp I have the same results as yesterday...no change in sustain at all except for a volume drop as specified in my first post...this sucks...could it be the potentiometer even though the resistance did vary when I tested it?

thanks again for all the suggestions so far

• Members

bad news, i just came back from re-soldering the loose cable (as well as anything that looked fragile or whatever), tested the sustain pot with a multimeter, the resistance DOES vary, but when I plug it the amp I have the same results as yesterday...no change in sustain at all except for a volume drop as specified in my first post...this sucks...could it be the potentiometer even though the resistance did vary when I tested it?

thanks again for all the suggestions so far

So the pot causes volume drops at each far end of the sweep, but no effect in the middle? While its probably not the pot itself, it sounds like a connection problem or a component in the 1st stage is damaged. I wish I could be more help...The only thing I can suggest is to go and test connectivity for each component in the 1st stage but that could bea little time consuming.

• Members
So the pot causes volume drops at each far end of the sweep, but no effect in the middle?.

That's exactly what's happening.
In the middle you can hear that there is some distortion but its the same distortion in all of the sweep except on each of the far ends.
I'll test the connectivity later today, thanks again :thu:

• Members
That's exactly what's happening.

In the middle you can hear that there is some distortion but its the same distortion in all of the sweep except on each of the far ends.

I'll test the connectivity later today, thanks again
:thu:

Hope you can fix it :thu:

Archived