True bypassing a MXR pedal

companyman

• Members

So I just picked up an MXR Blue Box and found the C-11 volume/high end mod and have successfully done it , and it has solved all but one of my issues with it . I'm not happy with the tone suck when it is bypassed . I am not very handy with a solder iron but have replaced pots on a guitar before . what is involved with a true bypass mod ? Thanks for any input in advance !

By the way the Blue Box is frickin' nuts with a Flanger Hoax and DMM !

• Members

what is involved with a true bypass mod ?

Well, a 3PDT switch generaly have six things going to and from it: from input, to PCB, from PCB, to output, and + and - sides of LED. Once you figure out where these are you would wire the switch like you would normally do with a 3PDT switch (Google for schematics).

The problem with many of the MRX pedals is that the switch and jacks are often mounted on the PCB. If the pedal you have is like this, then it will be more work, and the new switch will probably not fit where the current switch is.

• Members

Reissue MXR pedals (with switch and jacks soldered to the pcb) are quite hard to do... You need to figure out where the various input/output points are, find and cut the tiny trace from the input jack to the circuit input, Dremel out a section of the pcb (without cutting any other traces) to make room for a 3PDT and fly wires between it and the above mentioned points on the pcb.

Not a job for the faint-hearted... :D

• Members

The MXR bypass is usually only a problem if it's the first thing the guitar "sees" - once there's an active pedal (Boss-type left in bypass, or any other pedal turned on) in front of it, it's not as big of a problem anymore. The short story is that it is an impedance issue, something the signal straight from the guitar is much more vulnerable to.

• Members

The MXR bypass is usually only a problem if it's the first thing the guitar "sees" - once there's an active pedal (Boss-type left in bypass, or any other pedal turned on) in front of it, it's not as big of a problem anymore. The short story is that it is an impedance issue, something the signal straight from the guitar is much more vulnerable to.

Yeah? Thanks for the info, Andreas! I usually have the modulation last--before delay and reverb anyways--so I guess that's why I haven't noticed much problems with the MXR bypass.

• Members

good bit of info there thanks ! Perhaps moving the blue box around will help , i was putting it first to aid the tracking of the octave . sounds like true bypassing is out for my limited abilities !

• Members

The blue Box really is reminding me of the EH Microsynth minus the filter section and attack delay . I can get a nice slow volume swell with the RedWitch Pentavocal Trem set to very slow rate and depth set very high . I wonder if EH is thinking about ever releasing just the filter effect from the Microsynth in a nano box , this would be SWEET with the Blue Box , Flanger Hoax , Pentavocal Trem and DMM !:thu:

Archived