Is it possible to get a light reverb sound out of a delay pedal

sickman

• Members

I have a Boss DD-7.... I'm not a big fan of delay pedals, but I kind of bought this one for the looping function. Probably not the best choice in that regard. Anyway, I recently picked up a Blackstar HT-5 head. As you may know, it does not have reverb... I use it mainly at home for practice.

Is there a way to set the DD-7 up to get some light, decent reverb with the Blackstar? I've fooled around with it and can get some Gilmour type delay, but I'm looking for a more natural sounding reverb. Perhaps I may need to pick up a reverb pedal if that is what I am really looking for. :confused:

• Members

you'll prob be much happier with a reverb device

you can get a kind of slapback delay or a simple "bathroom reverb"(very low delay time moderate mix, low to no repeats) - but it's not particularly natural sounding, so I doubt you'll be satisfied

but I have a feeling by "light" you are looking for reverb that just as complex as other reverbs but set lower in the mix.

The reflecition patterns in a deicated reverb are just going to be more complex that a delay

• Members

About the closest you'll be able to get is with a short delay with lots of repeats and the delay volume set low. It'll still sound "lumpy" and unnatural compared to a dedicated reverb unit though.

Using an analog-type sound will help, since the repeats won't be so clear and distinct from one another.

• Members

I use a delay dedicated to slapback, one repeat and a very short delay time, 100 milliseconds-ish and a low mix. I use this as an alternative to reverb. Sometimes verb can just muddy things up, but the slapback delay with it's single repeat is gone instantly while still adding some sense of space to the sound. It's not the same as verb (which I also use from my amp at times) but since you have the delay you should check it out.

• Members

Do dd-7's have decay control?
:confused:

I can get decent "reverb" when I need to from my SMM/H's decay knob and short delay/many repeats...

That is a feature exclusive to the SMMH, not necessarily a norm in a delay pedal. They built the option of reverberated repeats into the 1 sec and 3 sec echo modes. The DD-7 doesn't have reverb like the SMMH, and lots of delays don't.

Archived