Now I've done it: bought a BJF Honey Bee

chuckmoose

• Members

I bet you play a Strat with lower output pickups, right? You need higher output pickups to get the sparklies out of the HBOD - mine doesn't roll off any highs, in fact its a little bright if I set the Nature knob past 1:00 or so. You can solve that issue by boosting it with another drive, yes.

At the time that I had it, I think I had already slipped Kinmans (Woodstocks with the Hx85 in the bridge) into my G&L S-500, and my Les Paul had Duncan 59's and the PRS had a '59 / Custom5 combo. So they're all medium output pickups. Didn't find the HB 'sparkly' at all! Dark, sweet, thick... but never bright or sparkly. And even when boosted, it remained dark, sweet, and thick, but the almost limiting compression was removed and the pedal opened up very nicely.

Great tones though, for sure. Les Paul on the neck with the HB - great, mellow, zone-out-forever legato tones.

-Ben

• Members

At the time that I had it, I think I had already slipped Kinmans (Woodstocks with the Hx85 in the bridge) into my G&L S-500, and my Les Paul had Duncan 59's and the PRS had a '59 / Custom5 combo. So they're all medium output pickups. Didn't find the HB 'sparkly' at all! Dark, sweet, thick... but never bright or sparkly. And even when boosted, it remained dark, sweet, and thick, but the almost limiting compression was removed and the pedal opened up very nicely.

Great tones though, for sure. Les Paul on the neck with the HB - great, mellow, zone-out-forever legato tones.

-Ben

I definitely hear that thickness, but there is also a nice zing on the high end that isn't spiky but definitely helps the pick attack cut.

• Members

It's here! This is a very cool pedal, VERY amp-like in it's response. The tone is unique, I have a big ol' pile of dirt and nothing else sounds like this. It's not the slightest bit Tube Screamer-ish. The Nature control is like a mid sweep, not a standard tone control at all. It has a lot of low end, and really changes the character of the high end, and the overall feel of what you put into it.

I understand why people talk so much about stacking it with other pedals. I'm using a Strat and it is pretty low gain by itself, very useful though, but it grits up fast with a clean boost or other low gain dirt pedal. It likes my Tim a lot, and that doesn't really change the character of the Bee much, but the Barber LTD SR really punches it up. I can hardly believe how it tames my HBE Lorba fuzz, which is very bright and midrangey. It adds needed low end and smooths the fizzyness off the top in a pretty extreme way that is hard to explain. It doesn't just roll off the highs, it sort of sucks them up. I can't wait to see how it reacts to my Sun Face NKT when it gets here!!

I'm a happy customer so far!

• Members

It's here! This is a very cool pedal, VERY amp-like in it's response. The tone is unique, I have a big ol' pile of dirt and nothing else sounds like this. It's not the slightest bit Tube Screamer-ish. The Nature control is like a mid sweep, not a standard tone control at all. It has a lot of low end, and really changes the character of the high end, and the overall feel of what you put into it.

I understand why people talk so much about stacking it with other pedals. I'm using a Strat and it is pretty low gain by itself, very useful though, but it grits up fast with a clean boost or other low gain dirt pedal. It likes my Tim a lot, and that doesn't really change the character of the Bee much, but the Barber LTD SR really punches it up. I can hardly believe how it tames my HBE Lorba fuzz, which is very bright and midrangey. It adds needed low end and smooths the fizzyness off the top in a pretty extreme way that is hard to explain. It doesn't just roll off the highs, it sort of sucks them up. I can't wait to see how it reacts to my Sun Face NKT when it gets here!!

cool man...it really is amazing how amp-like this pedal is...you can go from clean to a nice gritty tone with just a harder pick attack...

• Members

I run a Screw Driver set for a fuzz-type response into the HBOD and then into a Timmy.

I find that the SD -> HBOD combo gets this raunchy but focused sort of cranked/dying small amp sound that kicks ass.

HBOD -> Timmy is very big sounding - super wide freq spread with a lot of punch.

Even though its a midrangey pedal, there is no honky type sound to it. You get full sounding lows and sweet clear highs - nothing at all like a TS type pedal.

• Members

cool man...it really is amazing how amp-like this pedal is...you can go from clean to a nice gritty tone with just a harder pick attack...

what everyone is saying is true -- the honeybee is a VERY amp-like pedal, maybe moreso that any other overdrive pedal i have ever used. and rol back the guitar volume and you have a great jangly rhythm sound. it's americana in a box!

Archived