ambient/drone/space nerds: do you use a compressor?

forprescription

• Members

Not sure if there are many ambient fans here, but I was thinking of how I could improve my ambient setup and was thinking of compression. Anyone find it useful for clean sustained notes and whatnot? Thinking about it makes total sense to have one in the chain before all the delay/echo/swirly stuff, I'm going to try it out when I get my compressor back.

I'm talking stuff like Stars of the Lid, Eluvium, Eno, etc.

• Members

I use a compressor when I play live, the RNC

fmr-audio-rnc-really-nice-compressor.jpe

since there is always background noises in venues, this way I can bring the really minimalist parts up to hearing level and the deafening parts down to non-walk-out level. I dont need to do this when playign at home with headphones.

it's especially needed because I often play with comb filters and bitcrushers, which can get reallyl oud accidentally in less than a second! this helps attenuate that.

• Members

i personally find that i don't need a compressor pedal - instead i always set up my amp slightly louder than i need it to be and then use a volume pedal/delay/reverb to keep the note sustaining.

if you're into Stars of the Lid et al, you might like my music - i've got a new cd coming out next month - http://www.myspace.com/garethhardwick

• Members

Comp into delay evens everything out, ever note has the same amount play

Comp into fuzz like Stop Referencing says, does provide lots of smooth silky make people in the crowd walk away sustain

comp into comp, oh mannng

I just jizzed in my pants

Archived