Minimalist rig?

fenderbender66

• Members

I'm reworking my rig, and want to include some single effects. I currently have just a Bad Monkey and a Zoom G2.1u:facepalm: (which is a tone-sucker, which is why I'm ditching it). What I want to do is A/B my Traynor and the Fender Twin, getting the natural drive from the Traynor (the Fender doesn't really break up on the clean channel, although I haven't had the chance to go past 4 on the volume -- it's 105 watts tube), and using the effects on the Twin's clean.

With the new band I'm in, it's mostly heavy, blues-rock; for my solo stuff it's more modern (think Feelies, Radiohead, Replacements, Libertines, Explosions in the Sky), so I need quite a range.

For now, I'm thinking distortion and a delay, but not really sure what else to get to give me the range I want. I'm looking to keep it simple -- 4 pedals, tops.

Obviously, price is a concern. Basically I'm looking for suggestions for the most versatile 4-pedal rig (3 would be even better) that I can get. Any suggestions?

• Members

I play these through this:

003-1.jpg

Tuner and dirt are pretty self explanitory.

The DD-7 does a lot for me. Analog, reverse and several modes of digital delay with tap tempo and 40 seconds of hold delay/loop time; tube reverb and tremolo on the amp are icing on the cake. I play alot of the stuff you listed (love Explosions) along with Death Cab and The Fray and this covers alot of ground. The only thing I find myself wanting to do is being able to loop with delay on, but that doesn't come up much, only when i'm practicing on my own. I'm happy with what I've got. Hope that gives you an idea or two...

• Members

What is your budget for 3-4 pedals? I'd probably want to spend a little bit more, because I don't like getting disappointed a couple of months after getting a pedal and realize I want something else. And if you're only going to have a 3-4 pedal rig you might as well do it with style. Anyway, I'd go for this if I was into your kind of music.

For dirt: Xotic BB Preamp/Cusack Screamer. Depends if you want something more Marshally or something a little more like a Tube Screamer.
For more dirt: MI Audio Neo Fuzz/any MJM fuzz depending on taste
Delay: MXR Carbon Copy for analog or Boss DD3 for digital.

• Members
I play these through this:

003-1.jpg

Tuner and dirt are pretty self explanitory.

The DD-7 does a lot for me. Analog, reverse and several modes of digital delay with tap tempo and 40 seconds of hold delay/loop time; tube reverb and tremolo on the amp are icing on the cake. I play alot of the stuff you listed (love Explosions) along with Death Cab and The Fray and this covers alot of ground. The only thing I find myself wanting to do is being able to loop with delay on, but that doesn't come up much, only when i'm practicing on my own. I'm happy with what I've got. Hope that gives you an idea or two...

I like this set up a lot.
I can get the Blues Driver tones from the Traynor without a pedal, so I'd probably look for some other distortion pedal to use on the Twin.
But thanks!

• Members

I'd say tuner, OD, Fuzz/Dist and delay.

I think Bad Monkey is a great OD, but if you want to try something else, the SD-1 is also very popular, and the Dano TOD has been getting a lot of hype lately. For high end stuff, the possibilities are endless Fulltone, Keeley TS9 ModPlus, Tim and Timmy are the current rage, the list goes on.

In terms of Fuzz or Distortion, it's all about the flavor you want. A Rat is very versital, and might be just the thing. You might also like something a little more fuzzy. The new Tone Wicker Muff looks cool. If you are willing to throw down $110 on fuzz, you can get a Monsterpeice, which is pure fuzzy awesomenes. I dunno. For high dollar fuzz, Skreddy seems to be the talk of the town at the moment

In terms of delay, you can go the digital, bang for the buck rout (which ususally sounds pretty good), or the minimalist route. DD-7 and the Digitech hardwire delay are small, and can get a lot done. if you want something cheaper, the DD-3 and the Ibanez (DE-7, I think it's called) are nice. In terms of Analog, there is the ever popular EHX Delux Memory Man, The Malekko is pretty popular, and the MXR Carbon Copy is good and cheap. DD-20, Nova Delay, and DL-4 are the main fancy digital delays that do everything... Eventide Timefactor and Empress Super Delay are cool if you have a lot of cash.

so, there you have it. go nuts.

• Members

I like this set up a lot.

I can get the Blues Driver tones from the Traynor without a pedal, so I'd probably look for some other distortion pedal to use on the Twin.

But thanks!

Yeah, the Hardwire DL-8 (http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=948&CategoryID=) might be a little more interesting b/c it's true bypass and has tape echo and lo-fi emulation along with the analog that the DD-7 has.

Well, if you want something that'll give you a colored distortion and/or Fuzz of some kind, the EHX Holy Stain (http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=443&CategoryID=)? It's a nice looking cheap pedal with fuzz, OD, two kinds of reverb, trem and pitch shift. I can't really vouch for how it sounds though as I've never tried one.

Add those with the tuner of your choice and I think you'd have a pretty flexible, easy to move pedal board.

• Members

Yeah, the Hardwire DL-8 (
) might be a little more interesting b/c it's true bypass and has tape echo and lo-fi emulation along with the analog that the DD-7 has.

Well, if you want something that'll give you a colored distortion and/or Fuzz of some kind, the EHX Holy Stain (
It's a nice looking cheap pedal with fuzz, OD, two kinds of reverb, trem and pitch shift. I can't really vouch for how it sounds though as I've never tried one.

Add those with the tuner of your choice and I think you'd have a pretty flexible, easy to move pedal board.

The holy stain is a cool idea as an answer to some of the digital multi's out there, but in limited expirience with them, they are not very versatile. You don't have much parameter control over the effects, so you just have to roll with what they give you. The sounds are decent, but if they aren't your cup of tea (and they aren't mine), too bad.

• Members

alot of tuner pedal suggestions. i don't rank them as high. i say delay,fuzz, overdrive. digitech hardwire delay is good, fuzz on the cheap basically either fuzz face style or muff style. if you never tried fuzz i would say safe bets would be mxr classic fuzz, or big muff pi with tone wicker. overdrive bad monkey is fine.

• Members

The holy stain is a cool idea as an answer to some of the digital multi's out there, but in limited expirience with them, they are not very versatile. You don't have much parameter control over the effects, so you just have to roll with what they give you. The sounds are decent, but if they aren't your cup of tea (and they aren't mine), too bad.

Good point. I've been wanting to try one out given that I don't own any fuzzes and another type of OD and Reverb might be interesting...but then I'd need a new board...

Archived