Boss TU-2

Ibanez TS9-DX

EHX Black Big Muff Pi

MXR 10 Band EQ

Ibanez CS9

EHX Holy Grail Plus

Boss RC-2 for looping

Dimarzio 6" cables throughout.

Mogami/Neutrik cable from guitar to board (10') and from board to amp (3').

all sitting on a cheapo gator board with an included power supply G-Bus 8.

Okay, maybe not that small but the TS9, BMP, and EQ are pretty much 1 pedal for me - my own little analogman sun lion.

The problem is that I get a high pitch whine out of the loop if I have more than three of the pedals included in the loop. And I just mean connected, not actually in use.

I have gone through the entire group and individually they are silent (pretty close). So Each pedal is quiet on its own. I go through each cable included by just using two pedals and swapping out each cable. All cables are quiet on their own.

I can even put three pedals in the loop and its okay. As soon as I plug the little adapter into the fourth pedal, I start to get the whine and its gets worse the more pedals I include. So I think the problem might be the power supply, or the surge protector, or just {censored}ty wiring in the house.

Do you think the problem is just a cheap power supply (G-Bus 8)? What do you use for a power supply? I don't have a ton of $$ so its hard to justify dropping too much on a power supply, but this is starting to drive me nuts :mad:. Also is there a quality surge protector that would help without costing too much also?

• Members

I think the gator power supply is using digital switching technology and it's daisy chained. Agian, I think. Some pedals don't like being daisy chained and some pedals don't like digital switching adaptors. And some are even worse when mixed. Read up:

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/diyhome.htm

Look under the "Powering your pedals" section.

• Members

according to the reading material from turnitto

Boss TU-2 - 35 mA

Ibanez TS9-DX - 7 mA

EHX Black Big Muff Pi - 4 mA

MXR 10 Band EQ - ?

Ibanez CS9 - 10 mA

EHX Holy Grail + - 225 mA

Boss RC-2 for looping - 50 mA

Yeah, maybe I should isolate the HolyGrail, eh?

even with that I am well below the stated limits for the power supply. It should be able to handle it, I am a bit suspicious of the G-Bus 8.

• Members

Boss TU-2 - 35 mA

Ibanez TS9-DX - 7 mA

EHX Black Big Muff Pi - 4 mA

MXR 10 Band EQ - ?

Ibanez CS9 - 10 mA

EHX Holy Grail + - 225 mA

Boss RC-2 for looping - 50 mA

Yeah, maybe I should isolate the HolyGrail, eh?

yeah, some of the digital EHX pedals do this when you daisy chain them with cetain other pedals, the SMM/H does it sometimes too. There's a thread about it here, I guess that's why they give you a power supply with it! :)

http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/415/

• Members

So I put the reverb on its own boss adapter (i don't have the original one for it) and still had the whine. Not as bad, but it was still there. Turns out that the RC-2 is similar in its dislike of being chained. After getting another adapter for it, all is well. Except for having three adapters for one small pedal board.:mad:

I wonder if I would have the same results with a dc brick or other supply.

Thanks for reading resources, too.:thu:

• Members

The Fuel Tank JR has a limit of 120mA max for each output, which will be just fine for most of your pedals. The Holy Grail+ may be over that, though, which would force you to run two of the FT JR outputs in parallel (for 9vDC, 240mA). The PP2+ should work (output 5 or 6 in normal mode has 250mA).

The DC Brick is basically the same thing as what you already have, so I wouldn't go there.

• Members

Another little lesson learned on this. I bought a surge protector with emi/rf noise suppression. Now I can run the RC-2 chained in also without the whine. {censored}ty house electrical wiring.

I am still going to look for a PP2+ or a fuel tank though. If someone has one up for sale, let me know.

Archived