EBow question

D-River

• Members

I've bought one yesterday and I played it all the day long, learning to "tame" it and manage the sound, but now I realized that I was holding it backwards, with the led pointing to the tail of the guitar instead that to the fingerboard, which is supposed to be the correct position...then I tried to use it in the correct way and now I find way easier doing tricks like rocking it back and forth to change the note volume, but I find that the sound on the thinnest strings is less manageable than when I was using it in the "wrong" way (I mean that moving it nearer to the neck pick up it goes too abruptly from too much weak effect, with too delayed note attack, to feedback squealing, and I'm not able to manage a stable sound like I was able to when using it "backwards")...have you ever tried to use your EBow backwards? did you noticed any difference?

• Members

Don't play it backwards - you can cause serious damage to your guitar.

Just kidding. Yes you can do that, but it's more ergonomic to play it in the correct position. Here's a few other tips:

- turn your guitar volume knob way down when using it. Hold it over the pickup to where it's sustaining at full strength and adjust your volume on the guitar to the level you want it at. If you use the Ebow at the regular volume you play your guitar at, it will be way too loud.

- I almost always use it on the neck pickup - mostly on the G or D string.

- For a smoother, less harsh sound turn your guitar tone knob way down also.

- Try using some analog or digital delay with it.

• Members

I've bought one yesterday and I played it all the day long, learning to "tame" it and manage the sound, but now I realized that I was holding it backwards, with the led pointing to the tail of the guitar instead that to the fingerboard, which is supposed to be the correct position...then I tried to use it in the correct way and now I find way easier doing tricks like rocking it back and forth to change the note volume, but I find that the sound on the thinnest strings is less manageable than when I was using it in the "wrong" way (I mean that moving it nearer to the neck pick up it goes too abruptly from too much weak effect, with too delayed note attack, to feedback squealing, and I'm not able to manage a stable sound like I was able to when using it "backwards")...have you ever tried to use your EBow backwards? did you noticed any difference?

Earl Slick and Reeves Gabriels use theirs backwards. I use mine that way sometimes, you can get some tones out of it a bit easier.

• Members

I think that in the older EBow manuals (not sure about the newer ones), that they said that either way is fine. I hold mine backwards to the proper way, and I find that I have better control of it, because I think it's because I can see exactly where the light is positioned, which helps the volume/ control/ technique accuracy in my case, and also, I think that holding it by the front when it's backwards leads to some better control. I think that it's almost like how one gravitates to being left handed or right handed, that whichever way feels right, is the right way to you. I've seen plenty of players use it "backwards".

• Members

shouldn't matter either way, imo. whichever you feel more comfortable with.

had a chance to listen to the instruction tape it came with? and that's some technique. very impressive, a lot of practice may be required to be that good though.

yeah, and the hot spot. :o

• Members

Take the time to listen to the mini CD that came with it, and learn the techniques to do cross bowing between strings, string skipping, fortissimo cello "digs," and sweeping.

It's worth it, and you'll be able to do a LOT of stuff with it, you won't be one of those boring "Ebow+delay" people, and you'll feel like you got your money's worth on that thing. They're expensive. Use it for more than just easy, boring tricks! I can do almost all of that now (I had no effects but an Ebow for about a year :facepalm:), and it's a {censored}ing blast!

In response to your original question, I turn the Ebow the other way around when I need to use it near the bridge of a guitar, though it usually does sound way better on the neck pickup.

• Members

I have a lot of fun w/ my ebow & SL-20 slicer!

When I got my ebow it only came with a cassette. Since I no longer had a cassette player the tape was quickly lost. Does anyone have a copy of the cd they could share?

Their website has a REALLY great tutorial.

(and yeah, I had the cassette at first, too. Old school!)

http://www.ebow.com/ebow/pg/players.html

Warning: This guy is INCREDIBLY good. It's terrifying.

• Members

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Listen to all of it. Even in the intro it's got some useful advice.

Check out his insane demo of Elanor Rigby, multi-tracked using only the Ebow.

One of the things I love so much about the Ebow is that you can do real dynamics and swells, without the need for a volume pedal or messing with your guitar's volume. It's the closest thing I've ever found to actually performing crescendos or diminuendos. It's very authentic, because you're actually manipulating the instrument's strings to do it, and not the electronics, so you don't get treble cuts, etc.

• Members

Heh, in my case, I got the cassette with the EBow, it was ten years ago.....

The way he says the words "hoT spoT" on the cassette cracks me up. I mean, howling with laughter. It's just so bizarre and overly pronounced.

Archived