amp suggestions?

• Members

So, I'm thinking about trading my Hot Cat 30. Killer amp, I'm just not needing that much gain or that many teeth in my sound.

I'm using a Rick 650A and a Les Paul Standard.

Lots of delay via a newly acquired Timefactor and the trusty DL-4. My other pedals are revolving constantly, with a Tone Press and volume pedal being the only constant.

I don't play blues or metal.

I've owned:

Orange Rockerverb 100 - too grainy, not very ballsy without getting muddy, kind of uninspiring. Not touch sensitive enough. The FX loop was great, though.

Vox AC30CCH - Some cool sounds, but never really got to open it up. Tended to be brittle.

Fender Deville 2x12 - the cheap indie amp of choice for tons of bands. Pretty good cleans, but the gain obviously sucked.

Mesa Rectos - Way too dark and grainy or fizzy, depending on EQ. Not very inspiring.

Marshall JCM800 2204 - Had one sound. Amazing, but limited.

What I'm looking for: uncompressed, bright but not piercing, big sound. 3D. I'm using an Orange 4x12, which is very dark cab by nature. I'm not against combos - in fact, I think and open back combo + the Orange 4x12 might be good for recording. I'd like something that will take pedals well; I'm thinking that using OD pedals might get me more flavors and options tonally than I've had by sticking to amps with preamp gain. I'm really wanting to try out some of the Menatone pedals.

EDIT: 30 watt minimum!

I'm thinking about Dr Z stuff, a Matchless Clubman, or another AC30.

Sorry for the long post! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Members

Mesa Express series - being able to switch between class a and push/pull is nice (volume difference between 5 and 25 watts is not huge, should be more in teh 5:50, though I've not heard one). The 25 is EL84, the 50 6V6, so you can pick the power section you like. Pretty versatile all the way around, effects loop, independent eq on each channel, can be had for a decent pricey used (kind of pricey new). My only criticism is there's no independent level control to the fx loop.

• Members

For Simple:

Vox AC30 Handwired Combo

Dr. Z MAZ

Budda Superdrive 30

For Less Simple:

Bogner Duende (30w 6L6 version) or Shiva

65 Amps Soho or one of the higher watt ones

The maz is the only one I havn't played, the rest sound top notch. I'd get either the Vox or the Duende if I were buying another amp. Right now I have the AC15 and the Hot Cat 15R (w/ loop) so I am set.

• Members

the HW series (the fawn colored ones) don't really impress me with their build quality. PCBs and whatnot.
:(

this. go play one. They sound really good. I don't see whats wrong with the build quality. All the components are mounted to a turret board like PTP stuff, and theres a few traces underneath.

• Members

seriously check out an ampeg j-20. Handwired, 20 loud watts, great bias vary trem, alnico speaker, pine box. I think you can get them new in the states for well under a thousand. I've tried and owned lots of boutique amps and I keep coming back to this one over the rest. I put a celestion gold in it and to be honest the stock speaker is different but imo just as good. The amp takes pedals like a champ too. I Crank mine and then slam it with all kinds of fuzz and it sounds awesome. Don't know why more people aren't buying these up, I have two for stereo work. IMO the j-20 is way better than any of the fender or mesa amps that i've played and I've pretty much played them all. Hope this helps.

• Members

for big, uncompressed cleans?

showman/sf twin, bandmaster

v2/v4

just about any 100 marshall or clone thereof (sovtek MIG 100, Carvin x100B, Peavey Butcher all rock)

oh...or a YBA-1. {censored} I'd love one of those. YBA-1A for extra loud.

• Members

thanks for all of the suggestions!

my budget is pretty much what i can get from my hot cat.

the ac30hw series seem pretty cool, but i don't want to get bent over the barrel when it comes to resale.

i have a local lead on an early 90s ac30tbx...one of the limited edition purple ones with celestion blues, haha.

i've never played a mesa that really did it for me, but i'll check those out.

i think i'm narrowing it down to:

dr z

reeves

ac30

• Members
thanks for all of the suggestions!

my budget is pretty much what i can get from my hot cat.

the ac30hw series seem pretty cool, but i don't want to get bent over the barrel when it comes to resale.

i have a local lead on an early 90s ac30tbx...one of the limited edition purple ones with celestion blues, haha.

i've never played a mesa that really did it for me, but i'll check those out.

i think i'm narrowing it down to:

dr z

reeves

ac30

not going to entertain the ones i listed? :cry:

Archived