Where To Start?

Doggers

• Members

Hey guys I am thinking about picking up cheep keys and start learning that in addition to acoustic guitar. So problem is I have no idea where to start...So if your kinda enough to discuss where you started or provide usefull links/resources for begginers that you used or heard. Although I can do research myself, it would be nice if someone provided links that they know that are good, anyways any advice is welcomed :wave:

~Doggers

• Members

ok...another person that completly missed my question, yey?

Ok let me put this in like 10 words : What resources you used to learn the piano, because I want to use ones that you had experiense with, so I know they will be half decent...

• Members

1) a teacher

2) an actual piano

Also, the question to elaborate a bit was perfectly valid. Few are going to help you if you reply like that. No, jjdugan didn't miss your point; you missed his point.

If you walk into a car dealership and ask for a car, you'll get questions back, too - this is how discussion works. Do you need something for offroad, or just to do the groceries, or a family car? He can sell you a Ferrari, but it's useless to you if you need to haul heavy material to building sites over crappy roads.

So, specify your total budget (not "something cheap". This means different things to different people). Specify what music you want to play. Specify if you just need a piano sound or if you want to compose complete tracks with more instruments.

• Members

1) a teacher

2) an actual piano

Also, the question to elaborate a bit was perfectly valid. Few are going to help you if you reply like that. No, jjdugan didn't miss your point; you missed his point.

If you walk into a car dealership and ask for a car, you'll get questions back, too - this is how discussion works. Do you need something for offroad, or just to do the groceries, or a family car? He can sell you a Ferrari, but it's useless to you if you need to haul heavy material to building sites over crappy roads.

So, specify your total budget (not "something cheap". This means different things to different people). Specify what music you want to play. Specify if you just need a piano sound or if you want to compose complete tracks with more instruments.

^^ yup.

If you really want to learn piano, you'll need a piano teacher. However, if you just trying to be able to learn some keyboarding you can probably follow along with your guitar instruction. The chords are exactly the same :thu:.

Also, I don't know what "cheap" is in terms of your budget.

• Members

well i bought cheep pair of keys today at local radio shack for 100 dollars, casio brand. Also i am mostly concentrating on soft rock music, also i will not get a piano teacher because too be honest everything can be learned by yourself over time and it's better feeling inside in the end, also where should i set sail from here? Should I learn basic notes etc...stuckzor -.-

• Members

Hey guys I am thinking about picking up cheep keys and start learning that in addition to acoustic guitar. So problem is I have no idea where to start...So if your kinda enough to discuss where you started or provide usefull links/resources for begginers that you used or heard. Although I can do research myself, it would be nice if someone provided links that they know that are good, anyways any advice is welcomed
:wave:
~Doggers

here is my humble path to greatness

Organ.jpg

• Members

well i bought cheep pair of keys today at local radio shack for 100 dollars, casio brand. Also i am mostly concentrating on soft rock music, also i will not get a piano teacher because too be honest everything can be learned by yourself over time and it's better feeling inside in the end, also where should i set sail from here? Should I learn basic notes etc...stuckzor -.-

I think learning notes will be important.

• Members

Think of a piano as a single-string guitar. Only the keys, er, frets, are much closer together, you don't have to strum, and pressing on more than one fret at once makes more than one note. Something like that.

Music theory wise, what you know on the guitar carries over well on a piano. So practice technique. Get a book on scales and chords, and practice.

• Members

The smartest thing that anyone starting to learn the keyboard could do, no matter what the age, or purpose for learning, be it for a hobby, or going toward some amateur or professional playing, any of that, is to GET A TEACHER. Find a good one (if possible, but not a deal breaker, in the area if music of one's intent) Pay the $720.00 to $840.00 for at least a year of instruction. It will be WORTH EVERY DIME and more. You will learn how to approach the instrument, fingering, notes, counting, formation of chords, scales, etc. You would get pointed in the right direction. Two years would be better. You will save much more time and money than you spend and pay.

summers

• Members

When I was growing up I had casio/Yamaha keyboards I would toy around with that were great for that purpose. However, I also had access to a real piano. I would say the best advice I can give you is one already mentioned by previous posters - If possible, get some training in music theory, whether that means hiring a teacher or getting a book off of Amazon and learning some of the basics. I will never hurt you to learn some theory.

In regards to the belief some have that "Why should I go by the rules?" - Remember, most good composers/artists/etc. who broke the rules and came up with their own, original material were already well versed in the traditional. I am not saying you need to get a Masters in Theory. However, at least learning the basics will go a long way, in my opinion.

• Members

That, of course, depends entirely on how much you really expect to learn. Piano, especially, is very touch-dependent for expression (check out some of the vigorous arguments about real vs. digital piano). You can self-teach, but it's unlikely that you will master the nuances in any reasonable amount of time. One year with a teacher might seem painful, but you will learn about things that books and videos aren't so good at, such as how to sit, position your hands, and curve your fingers. Nothing like having a teacher (in my case, an angry Israeli woman) whack you upside the head when you do something wrong to reinforce your learning.

Don't get me wrong - in my case, I taught myself guitar after 12 years of piano. I still suck after 15 years of guitar non-lessons.

• Members

well see to be honest I dont have time for a piano teacher, got school, sports, and looking for a job atm. so thanks for all advice so far =)

There's not really such a thing as instantly learning how to play a musical instrument. If it is important to you, then it may be a good idea to rearrange your priorities to make time for piano lessons and so forth.

• Members

Not that "Doggers" is concerned, but how does one go about finding a good teacher?

Word of mouth is the best way, from my experience. Ask around with local musicians or music teachers/students in a nearby university. You'll start to hear names and you can begin calling them to check availability, get other suggestions and then work from there.

• Members

Doggers - I like to recommend Kabalevsky for learning keys. There's a wonderful abundance of great children's piano music, 200 years worth or so, much of it inexpensive and/or in public domain. Just go to a good music store and pick up a few collections in any style (the late romantic Russians really went all out!) A lot of great composers wrote beginner's pieces - try Bartok's Mikrokosmos Book One.

As far as finding a good piano teacher, that's usually done by word of mouth. In other words, find a friend of a friend who plays piano, and ask him or her. :)

Archived