OT: Playing acoustic gigs are tough

RoboPimp

• Members

Talk about being stripped of all frivolous noisemakers and distractions and having the spotlight shone thru onto the core of your abilities.

can be stressful but also a lot of fun.

Anyone else here do acoustic shows?

I do a duet with my buddy on upright bass and love it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, I play the odd acoustic show, and have quite a few to come.

With bigger acts too, you can really hear the details in arrangements that can get lost easily with sloppy sound men. I did a few with a trumpeteer and saxophonist, good times.

• Members

I've always found the acoustic guitar rather forgiving. Just play alot of open chords and if you mess up mute the strings and get percussive!

true, I suppose if you want to flounder on any instrument it's not hard

but to actually do a half decent job is a bit tougher

• Members

Yep, I play the odd acoustic show, and have quite a few to come.

With bigger acts too, you can really hear the details in arrangements that can get lost easily with sloppy sound men. I did a few with a trumpeteer and saxophonist, good times.

very cool, loves the brass

• Members

Last year when I was at a small local Festival me and the bassist from my band broke out 2 acoustics and did renditions of a few songs for about 30ish people just gathered there, it was fun, but it really is such an honest representation of your playing

• Members

Last year when I was at a small local Festival me and the bassist from my band broke out 2 acoustics and did renditions of a few songs for about 30ish people just gathered there, it was fun, but it really is such an honest representation of your playing

yeap

• Members

true, I suppose if you want to flounder on any instrument it's not hard

but to actually do a half decent job is a bit tougher

Of course and my comment was with a fair amount of 'tongue in cheek'.

You could draw a comparison to dudes who compensate for poor technique with extra gain and power chords.

I agree that to play technically and more over skillfully can be more dificult on an acoustic.

That said, I think for guys who are primarily acoustic players the transition to a full electric gig scenario could be just as difficult.

• Members

That said, I think for guys who are primarily acoustic players the transition to a full electric gig scenario could be just as difficult.

yeah, a lot of technique that is used on acoustic stuff is lost in the translation

definitely a whole different rule book on the electric. I have one buddy who is an amazing finger picker but can also pick up a les paul and play jimmy page solos note for note with ease. Freak!

• Members

I used to do acoustic gigs all the time (with a Boss ME 30 :thu:). Kind of gotten away from it, don't think I've even picked up an acoustic in a year or 2.

We knew a girl who played the saw that would sit in with us once in a while. It was awesome.

• Members

Talk about being stripped of all frivolous noisemakers and distractions and having the spotlight shone thru onto the core of your abilities.

can be stressful but also a lot of fun.

Anyone else here do acoustic shows?

I do a duet with my buddy on upright bass and love it.

Yeah, same here! I duet with my bassist who brings his upright too, and takes on back up singing. It's a lot of fun, but you're right, it's probably the hardest shows you'll play.

We did a show a couple weeks ago at a house party. The girl organizing invited a few musicians to come and play. No PA, no electric anything. Just acoustic instruments. It sounded like some kind of hippie fest but we came and played and it was awesome. The room was filled with people dead-silent listening to you play. One of the most fun "gigs" I've ever played. It really forced me to project my voice.

• Members

My singer, other guitarist and myself have been doing about one acoustic gig a month for the past year or so, and dayum it's alot of work!
So much space to fill, I find myself filling in bass lines, strumming with a percussive attack to similate drums and all the while singing....whew...

• Members
you could be sweet and use effects on acoustic.

sunrise_over_sea.jpg

Yeah, this is true, I didn't mean that playing acoustic means no effects. This guy has the skills to pay the bills, but it's obvious he's not hiding behind effects and that he doesn't need a whole band to prop him up. Kick ass :thu:

• Members

man up and play.

*insert joke about website*

• Members

Yeah, same here! I duet with my bassist who brings his upright too, and takes on back up singing. It's a lot of fun, but you're right, it's probably the hardest shows you'll play.

We did a show a couple weeks ago at a house party. The girl organizing invited a few musicians to come and play. No PA, no electric anything. Just acoustic instruments. It sounded like some kind of hippie fest but we came and played and it was awesome. The room was filled with people dead-silent listening to you play. One of the most fun "gigs" I've ever played. It really forced me to project my voice.

yeap, a real workout for the vocal cords for sure. I sing all the lead vocals and while it is more work you can actually hear yourself much better than with a loud rock band and it seems to help me focus on them and control them better.

your gig sounds like it was very cool

Archived