A very bad combination

kyrreca

• Members

New guitar:

Greco1.jpg

+

Broken thumb:

tommel.jpg

The guitar is a 1976 Greco EG-700, an excellent LP Standard ripoff in very good condition.

The thumb is my left hand thumb, which is pretty important for playing the guitar.

I bought the guitar last Wednesday from a guy on another forum. Two days later when walking home from a friend, I got my feet tangled up in some junk that was laying on the sidewalk (it was dark and I wasn't really looking down) and fell down. My right hand was in my pocket, so the left hand was the one that broke the fall. At the moment I was primarily concerned with the embarrasment of falling down in public, so I just walked home, ignoring the pain. The next day, the pain was even worse, so I went to the hospital. It turned out my thumb is broken, and I'll have to wear a cast for four weeks, which means four weeks without being able to play guitar properly. Three days later, on Tuesday, my new guitar arrived in the mail. {censored}.

{censored}.

F. U. C. K.

• Members

Play overhand slide.

Yeah, I've tried different approaches; slide, over the neck tapping :eek:, trying to play normally (which is very difficult). It's just not very satisfying when all I want to do is to rock out. :(

• Members

Meh, slide the playing doesn't really do it for me... Lefty sounds like fun, though. :cool: It would probably be like learning to play guitar all over again, but even more difficult.

I tried playing a little at band practice today. Not very easy, but with simplifying some parts, and playing some parts with my hand over the neck, I did OK. At least I got to hear the guitar in action, it sounds great through my Rivera. The pickups are DiMarzio Super Distortions, which I've never tried before, but so far I think I like them. They are a little dark sounding for my style though, especially since the LP itself has such a dark tone.

• Members

Learning to play left handed in your short time off would be a waste of time. Slide sounds kind of stupid at first if you're not into slide but check out tuning up to an open tuning and run a slide down that neck. Try the open G and open E tunings for starters. Even if you drop the slide after they take the cast off you're sure to use those open tunings down the road. Opens a whole new world up to your playing style. ;)

• Members

I laughed when I read this, but I acknowledge that I am basterd for so doing.

I cut my thumb pretty bad a couple days ago, so it will be poetic justice that it gets infected and I loose it for laughing.

Anyway, now might be a good time to mess with alternate tunings (open D and DADGAD can be pretty shweet).

• Members

You know what's a bad combination?... vodka and absynthe... man...!!

I'll one up ya. Attempting to drive an automobile on really good PCP or a really heavy LSD trip. Try it! Make sure you're up in the mountains with plenty of curves on the road. You betcha. ;)

• Members

I laughed when I read this, but I acknowledge that I am basterd for so doing.

I cut my thumb pretty bad a couple days ago, so it will be poetic justice that it gets infected and I loose it for laughing.

Anyway, now might be a good time to mess with alternate tunings (open D and DADGAD can be pretty shweet).

I actually snapped at one of my buddies who giggled a little when he saw my cast. "You know, I don't find this {censored}ing funny at all..." :mad: After the first couple of days, I started accepting it though, and I don't mind if people find some amusement in the whole thing. A couple of weeks after the cast is off, I'll laugh about it too. And anyway, I'm not innocent of laughing at other peoples comical misfortunes in the past.

And yeah, open tunings are probably a good idea, even if the slide thing doesn't work out.

• Members

......After the first couple of days, I started accepting it though, and I don't mind if people find some amusement in the whole thing. A couple of weeks after the cast is off, I'll laugh about it too......

if it makes you feel any better, Aug 20 i fell and broke left wrist (seizure-related fall). had cast till Oct 7ish. Oct18, another fall, broke left wrist again and random other hand/finger bones, cast for 10 more weeks. wont be able to play for another 8wks at the rate i'm going, recovery-wise. :mad:

new guitar looks sweet though. investigate the open tuning stuffs.

• Members

if it makes you feel any better, Aug 20 i fell and broke left wrist (seizure-related fall). had cast till Oct 7ish. Oct18, another fall, broke left wrist again and random other hand/finger bones, cast for 10 more weeks. wont be able to play for another 8wks at the rate i'm going, recovery-wise.
:mad:

new guitar looks sweet though. investigate the open tuning stuffs.

Wow, that really sucks. My injury isn't much to whine about compared to that...

Do you know if your hand is gonna recover fully?

Archived