80Gb 4200rpm
HD, but.... more than
3000 USD
with the SSD
64Gb
drive! That's...insane!!!!
:mad:
Let's wait one more year :-)

yea.. but a SSD is a bajillion times faster than a crappy 4200 rpm drive. the latter cant handle video editing.

• Members

Price: $1800 base, $3100
:eek:
with the SSD. Processors are on the slow side (1.6 or 1.8 MHz) and 2 GB of memory installed is probably not expandable.

1.8GHz on a core 2 Duo is already super fast! On my 2GHz iMac with 2Gb RAM I can record/mix run Cubase and all without ANY problem, and I tend to record MANY tracks (Film music) so that would be fine for me..

But 3000USD for 64Gb...no way!

I could use and external drive..but then i would need an additional USB/Firewire port for the audio card...

But you are right, the next generation should be awesome.. i just hope the price of these SSD drives goes down very fast...

V

• Members

The battery cannot be swapped/replaced by the end user, that would be a concern of mine.

I wonder if the 64 gig SSD drive is being retardedly priced like Apple's RAM upgrades. If it is, is it possible to upgrade drives after the fact? I guess we'll know more in a couple of weeks.

• Members

yea.. but a SSD is a bajillion times faster than a crappy 4200 rpm drive. the latter cant handle video editing.

You think. Solid state has its own problems. Depending on the drive used the write speeds may well be much slower than even a 4200 drive, though (certain) read speeds are likely better. I'll assume, for that sort of money, they're using one with half decent write speeds.

The big downer about SSD is currently that the drives have a limited amount of times you can write to them. If you use them regularly for something like heavy video editing then the chances are high that you won't be able to write to them within a few short years. They have a pretty limited life, much more so than ordinary HD's.

• Members

You think. Solid state has its own problems. Depending on the drive used the write speeds may well be much slower than even a 4200 drive, though (certain) read speeds are likely better. I'll assume, for that sort of money, they're using one with half decent write speeds.

The big downer about SSD is currently that the drives have a limited amount of times you can write to them. If you use them regularly for something like heavy video editing then the chances are high that you won't be able to write to them within a few short years. They have a pretty limited life, much more so than ordinary HD's.

You're talking about old technology.

• Members

There is an article (I think on toms hardware) that suggests that if you were to write to one of these at the maximum possible theortical I/O speed of the device, churning the entire hard drive, then you get about 17 years out of it...

This was referring to one of the more recent 64GB models.

• Members

Wow what a joke this thing is. Lets see only 1 USB Port, no internal CD/DVD drive, no RJ45 Ethernet port, no removable or end user replaceable battery, Only 80GB Hard Drive, Mono Speaker all for $1800.

Sure its thin but when you have to carry a USB to RJ45 cable to plug in a network where no Wifi is available, an External DVD Drive, USB Hub so you can use more than 1 device at a time, Dual Speakers, or Headphones to hear stereo, and whatever else gets carried around with it, what's the point.

Oh and if my battery dies I have to send it in to Apple along with $129 to get the battery replaced ?

No Thanks Apple.... Geez

Archived