OT: Mama Cass and LOST!

• Members

jimi_michelle_cass_photosynthesis_400.jp

I was born in 1969, and among my most lucent memories of my pre-school years is lying on my parents' futon around heaps of pillows, incense, and listening to this album on vinyl (and no, my parents were not hippies, nor did they smoke pot, despite this description):

510GVFY591L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Anyways, my wife and I just started to watch the series LOST! about a month ago, working from the pilot forward. We're now at Season 5 finally.

I have to say that it sent a chill down my spine when the songs "Make Your Own Kind of Music" and

came on. The series is spooky enough as it is, with all of this time-travel and deja-vu; but add to that the songs that are permanently etched in my memory and part of my earliest musical vocabulary? Well, that was too much.

Anyway, I'm listening to the album again now (I inherited it from my mom when I absconded her vinyl collection).

Despite all the undignified jokes about the ham sandwich, I clearly remember how sad my mom was when Mama Cass passed on :cry: So there's a real sentimental, nostalgic, and tragic sound in her music for me now.

If you can get past the Vegas production, or the Hippy-Sunshine-Optimism of the lyrics, the songs are really beautiful, and very under-appreciated. So I felt the need to pay homage to one of my earliest influences in music - Mama Cass Elliot.

Cass.jpg

DennyDohertyMamaCassMicheleandJohnPhilli

cass_hendrix.jpg

JoniCass71.jpg

jonidavid20geffin20etcphs6.jpg

Archived