S.O.T-Saw Dredg last night in Chicago

• Members

and they were amazing. The place was a small dive bar on the west side, and it was awesome. Mark was dancin' all over his pedalboard making the coolest sounds I have ever heard. He is the master of delay!

Why does this band not get the respect they deserve?

• Members

The place only held about 300 people, and I could literally unplug marks guitar while he was playing, thats how close I was. As usual, his pedal board had a few different pedals. I have never seen his board stay the same for more than a couple of weeks.

The new material is great, but definitly more in the direction of catch without arms and not el cielo, but still good. His guitar work has only gotten better, but they are using more electronic beats and such. Gavin's singing seems to be a bit more polished on the new stuff, as I saw him changing his range quite a bit, so all in all, I can't wait for the new album.

• Members

I dunno. I thought El Cielo was ass. Mostly because of the embarrassing lyrics. Catch Without Arms was neat, hopefully they pull off something good next album.

fair enough, I thought the subject matter was really cool with lucid dreaming and stuff. Listening to that album in 5.1 surround on sacd is ridiculous too.... great album to trip to.

• Members

Why does this band not get the respect they deserve?

What I mean is how come you never see an article in Guitar world, or any of the other magazines about players like him, or you never really hear them on the radio.

This is a band loaded with a bunch of really talented guys, and they can't pack a 5000 person venue, but bands that have no talent and can only strum a few powerchords are all over these magazines and the radio. It is just a gross representation of what music is out there. This goes for bands like Circa Survive and other great bands with loads of talent, that are passed up for the green day's and the buckcherry's.

• Members

welcome to the 2000's

I know...I agree, but it has been like that for longer than just these last 9 years. It is not something I just realized, but just something that makes me sad that most people out there will never really hear good music because the radio only plays crap and the press only covers crap.

I guess that is the good thing about being a musician, is that you get to hear and see a lot of great music that the rest of the world will never knows exists.

• Members

What I mean is how come you never see an article in Guitar world, or any of the other magazines about players like him, or you never really hear them on the radio.

This is a band loaded with a bunch of really talented guys, and they can't pack a 5000 person venue, but bands that have no talent and can only strum a few powerchords are all over these magazines and the radio. It is just a gross representation of what music is out there. This goes for bands like Circa Survive and other great bands with loads of talent, that are passed up for the green day's and the buckcherry's.

Holy {censored}, you've really hit the nail on the head with this problem affecting current music. I don't think anybody has ever noticed that {censored}ty bands have become really popular as of late. I think you should logoff from the internet and spread the word good friend. Get a flock together and become the change you want to see in the world.

Godspeed brother

• Members

Holy {censored}, you've really hit the nail on the head with this problem affecting current music. I don't think anybody has ever noticed that {censored}ty bands have become really popular as of late. I think you should logoff from the internet and spread the word good friend. Get a flock together and become the change you want to see in the world.

Godspeed brother

I am going to assume that you are being sarcastic:), but I do spread the word and don't just complain about it on the internet. I always suggest bands that are talented to new listeners and try to get bands that actually have talent out to everyone I know. That is what being in the music business is all about.

• Members

I am going to assume that you are being sarcastic:), but I do spread the word and don't just complain about it on the internet. I always suggest bands that are talented to new listeners and try to get bands that actually have talent out to everyone I know. That is what being in the music business is all about.

Not having a mainstream audience does not mean a band is getting no respect though. Regardless, I think dredg is going for mainstream with the next release...

• Members

i was there.

the bottle isn't a dive. it's a great place to see a show, and pretty much legendary chicago venue. i take it you don't make it out to chicago much.

i'll take it over HoB any day.

the new dredg stuff is still pretty experimental, but the hooks and pop structures are still there.

they played a pretty tight show.

mark is looking more and more like Blue from Old School w/ each gig.

• Members

Looked like a cross between blue, and the old guy who live next door to Kevin in Home Alone.

I do make it out to chicago quite often to see and play shows, and I think a majority of the chicago venues are dives, but that is what makes the experience so great. I never said I didn't enjoy it.

Here is how I judge a venue...If my hands would get dirtier washing them in the bathroom sink, I consider it a dive. If the beer of choice is PBR/Old Style/IceHouse, most likely a dive:)

Point taken on the mainstream audience, but I wish they would get exposer in the guitar magazines that credit talent where it is deserved. I can only read so many rehashed articles on Kirk hammet/Dave Mustain/Slayer ect... and everyone else who has used and abused the same shredding technique since the early 80's (not to say they are not good) but it is getting old. Why aren't the covering some of the bands that are doing something different?

• Members

Point taken on the mainstream audience, but I wish they would get exposer in the guitar magazines that credit talent where it is deserved. I can only read so many rehashed articles on Kirk hammet/Dave Mustain/Slayer ect... and everyone else who has used and abused the same shredding technique since the early 80's (not to say they are not good) but it is getting old. Why aren't the covering some of the bands that are doing something different?

I didn't realize people older than 14 still read guitar magazines. I understand your disappointment in Yngwie cover #43 on Guitar World magazine but usually people stop reading/buying things they do not enjoy partaking in as consumers.

Archived