Thief-proofing pedals on a pedaltrain ?

timmyo

• Members

OK an odd question I know, but since I bought an expensive pedal I was wondering about how to make it a bit more difficult to steal than simply pulling it off the velcro'd board.

I may just be being paranoid but I'd feel happier about using the board out that way.

Does anyone here do it? Is the only way to use the plastic locking wrap things?

• Members

I think that's what I mean - the ratchet-locking plastic straps? (no idea what they are called)

Yeah cable ties....That's probably the only way of doing it, apart form the bicycle chain bits trick...but that involvles screwing to your board.

• Members

bike chain + pedaltrain is a bad combination.. you could do it, with lots of drilling and self-tapping screws, but i suspect it's more work, and more damage to the board than you're prepared to carry out.

the only answer as far as i can see is vigilance, protect your {censored} and it is a lot less likely to get stolen.

actually, i do have one suggestion. you could attach bike chain links to the pedal, and then connect these to small pections of steel wire rope looped around the pedaltrains slats, that's mae it almost impossible to remove quickly. don't think there's anything you can buy off the shelf to use for that though, you'd have to make it yourself with crimps and things.

• Members

if someones going to steal something it's probably going to be your entire board, not just one pedal off of it. i'd be more worried about that.

I was thinking, "where do you guys live, that the thieves are too puny to lift a whole pedalboard?" :lol:

• Members

cable ties will slow em down a little and provide a little more hold for heavy pedals.

I used the bike chain links for awhile and it was solid and sturdy, but did put numerous holes in my pedaltrain (no big deal) more important a couple pedals did not like being grounded to the metal pedaltrain board (hum)

:cool:

• Members

more a case of you're more likely to see someone making off with the whole thing, that's all.

Not all that likely, IMO. You'd either have to notice the guy bee-lining for the door with a suspiciously familiar-looking case (which would probably be stolen by another band, who would simply pile it in with their gear), or somebody rooting around in your board. If somebody's not posted around the gear, somebody can take something. If somebody's paying attention, they'll spot a thief.

• Members

OK an odd question I know, but since I bought an expensive pedal I was wondering about how to make it a bit more difficult to steal than simply pulling it off the velcro'd board.

Whatever you do....don't ask Mr. Vex about pedal stealing prevention :poke:

Archived