Hexe Electronics Bitcrusher Pedal

ck3

• Members

Has anyone played through one of these yet ...

[YOUTUBE]ZEq0peN8f1U[/YOUTUBE]

... if so, what did you think ... and how was your transaction with the builder?

(I realize that I recently bumped an older thread about this pedal, and thought that it might be helpful to start a new one that actually includes the pedal's name in its title.)

• Members

Hmm so it'd be something like $240 plus shipping...might not end up being cheaper than a Geiger Counter, actually.

With bank fees in the equation, this may be true. On a somewhat related note, I just read that the internal distortion in the Geiger Counter can be bypassed by turning the gain knob to zero ... which may allow it to function in a similar capacity to the Hexe pedal ... hmmm.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

With bank fees in the equation, this may be true. On a somewhat related note, I just read that the internal distortion in the Geiger Counter can be bypassed by turning the gain knob to zero ... which may allow it to function in a similar capacity to the Hexe pedal ... hmmm.

The gain on the geiger counter interacts alot like the saturation function it battery 3:

battery3-effects.jpg

It doesn't have to be dirty or distorted. You can set it nominally just enough to feed the bit crusher, or you can use it as a full on distorted preamp, and anything in between. The two knobs are obviously very interactive because the stronger you make the signal (via gain internally or external to the pedal) the more it will sustain and "fight" the bit crusher.

• Members

^Interesting ... have you ever placed the Giger Counter in an effects loop and used it to process amp distortion?

You know the stupid thing is I haven't......

I'm doing this first thing tomorrow. I have used it to process a DBA Fuzz Gun and an MF Freqbox to fantastic results. I have a filter running after it to drown out a bit of the upper end crackle and then brighten the overall tone. I'll let you know how it goes with the amp though :)

• Members

You know the stupid thing is I haven't......

I'm doing this first thing tomorrow. I have used it to process a DBA Fuzz Gun and an MF Freqbox to fantastic results. I have a filter running after it to drown out a bit of the upper end crackle and then brighten the overall tone. I'll let you know how it goes with the amp though
:)

What was the outcome, kimosabe? :wave:

• Members

What was the outcome, kimosabe?
:wave:

K, it interacts greatly with amp distortion. I almost wish I had 3 of these because once you find a sweet spot you really don't want to change it. But yes, whatever you feed it it will come out with something different. Oddly, it's still not as satisfying as feeding through my Virus TI or battery. It's a bit messier, but hey it has it's own character.

Still waiting on the harvest man Empty Quiver as well. It's good to have as many versions of this effect as possible, as mentioned.... sweet spots.

• Members

I definitely like this a lot, the blend feature is like the one thing I *REALLY* wish the GC had, but I've got it in my barge concepts wet/dry blend loop so i kinda worked that out already. empty quiver better be HUGE or imo the GC will still reign supreme.

I'm in love with the sounds I heard from the modular demo. It shouldn't really be very different.

I still want an alienator at some point too :p

• Members

K, it interacts greatly with amp distortion. I almost wish I had 3 of these because once you find a sweet spot you really don't want to change it. But yes, whatever you feed it it will come out with something different. Oddly, it's still not as satisfying as feeding through my Virus TI or battery. It's a bit messier, but hey it has it's own character.

Still waiting on the harvest man Empty Quiver as well. It's good to have as many versions of this effect as possible, as mentioned.... sweet spots.

Thanks for the follow-up post. If Frisco Audio Technology doesn't churn out another batch of Advanced Bit Crushers in the near future, I may have to start saving my pennies for a Geiger Counter. :facepalm:

• Members

Thanks for the follow-up post. If Frisco Audio Technology doesn't churn out another batch of Advanced Bit Crushers in the near future, I may have to start saving my pennies for a Geiger Counter.
:facepalm:

I think I'm getting in on the next batch of Frisco Audio Technology ABC-1's. That thing sounds pretty damn good. I have my qualms with the Geiger Counter. At times it seems to add a bit of white noise to the signal, which is easily filtered out, but still irritating.

• Members

I think I'm getting in on the next batch of Frisco Audio Technology ABC-1's. That thing sounds pretty damn good. I have my qualms with the Geiger Counter. At times it seems to add a bit of white noise to the signal, which is easily filtered out, but still irritating.

That sounds like a pain. Do you have to place a noise gate in the signal chain to tame the white noise? My preamp has a built-in noise gate, but I'm thinking that it won't be effective if the Geiger Counter is in its effects loop.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Which is a better bit crusher to purchase? The Hexe or the WMD? I like the cleaner sound of the hexe, but the wmd is pretty sick as well? I'm basically just looking for opinions on both. Thanks.

You used the term "sick" to describe something besides the subject's wellness, and thusly I abstain from answering ;)

• Members

Which is a better bit crusher to purchase? The Hexe or the WMD? I like the cleaner sound of the hexe, but the wmd is pretty sick as well? I'm basically just looking for opinions on both. Thanks.

The answer to your question will probably depend upon the type of application that you have in mind .... and don't forget to consider the FAT Advanced Bit Crusher as well: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2331443 :wave:

• Members

The answer to your question will probably depend upon the type of application that you have in mind .... and don't forget to consider the FAT Advanced Bit Crusher as well:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2331443
:wave:

This was much less douchey than what I said ;)

Oh and don't forget the fabled "Empty Quiver"...... apparently Scott is still going to release it at some point. Then there is the Frostwave Sonic Alienator if you can get your hands on it.

Honestly I have renewed WMD Geiger Counter love. I listed an awesome setting in this thread and I continue to find new ones. With the whole hundreds of wave tables thing going on with that one there really are alot of variations you can get out of it. Probably half are useless, and another 4th are borderline, but the gems are {censored}ing amazing and worth searching for.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

The gain on the geiger counter interacts alot like the saturation function it battery 3:

battery3-effects.jpg

It doesn't have to be dirty or distorted. You can set it nominally just enough to feed the bit crusher, or you can use it as a full on distorted preamp, and anything in between. The two knobs are obviously very interactive because the stronger you make the signal (via gain internally or external to the pedal) the more it will sustain and "fight" the bit crusher.

sausagefoot, and anyone else who has experience with the geiger counter...

I received a geiger counter for christmas, and I'm wondering: everywhere I've read says that you should be able to get a clean signal out of this pedal, but when I play mine with the sample rate and bit rate knobs all the way up with the gain knob all the way down (I've also tried turning it up just a hair) it seems to always have a full distorted signal mixed in with the clean signal. Is this normal? On some of the sound clips I've heard on WMD's site it sounds normal, and on others it doesn't. I'm wondering if something is wrong with my unit, and if I should exchange it for another while I still can. I love it otherwise, and really don't even want to part with it for a week or two, but I kind of wanted to use it clean for a lot of stuff.

Thanks!

Archived