Today's listening: Treble Booster Playlist

english_bob

• Members

My job is fairly solitary, and pretty monotonous at times, so I bring my mp3 player. Today's playlist so far:

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour

...then it occurs to me that both Blackmore and Gallagher were famous treble booster users (you can hear Rory Gallagher turning his off to tune up and then on again to RAWK lots of times on "Irish Tour").

What can I follow them up with, inna treble booster stylee?

• Members
I knew there was some reason I should put some Queen on my mp3 player.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers w/ Eric Clapton was my next choice.

Opinion on whether Clapton actually used a treble booster on that album is entirely divided. Many say it was just a certain magical LP, amp, room/mic, desk combination responsible for those tones. :idk:

I love Rangemaster style pedals. They suit the EL84 amps I use perfectly, slightly better with my 325 than with my Fenders, but equally deployed nonetheless. The touch sensitivity and raw, open, uncompressed feel make them great for both lead and rhythm tones.

• Members

Machine Head is an absolutely fantastic sounding record.

I'm not crazy about the lyrics, but the playing is stunning, and the guitar tones are absolutely awesome. It's like being in a room with a Marshall stack.

...or is it an AC30? Lots of the photos in the sleeve notes show AC30s set up in the background... That would take a big chunk out of Marshall's classic rock cred... :eek:

Archived