Newbie searching for keyboard amp suggestions ASAP

whyidnever

• Members

I've done that w/my JBL EONs - had one (one time even both) up on a speaker stand when playing w/a bar band. I subsequently realized it was not necessary: the EON had enough punch for stage volume that it could even sit on the floor and face up & as long as I ran a line from my mixer to the main PA for the front of house (sound to the audience) I was fine.

BTW -

I had Mackie SRM450's for stage monitors (vocals & keys) once at a summer concer/street festival where there was a sound company - soundede great. But I still think the JBL EON15 G2's sound better...
:love::p

Still waiting to hear back from Motion Sound on their MRSP. Altho, I asked for MRSP... don't worry, I also asked for a ballpark of what we can expect it on the street for. i think this KP-500SN is the cat's ass. It's EXACTLY what I need. The KP-200S is great for solo gigs, and smaller bar room stuff, but when you're playing with a rock band using Marshall stacks... forget it. A lot of people will argue that the band is too loud (if you can't hear the KP200S), but I like playing drums to sequences (and the keys parts that I write have the tendancy to use the full range of the speaker, thus producing a 'quieter precieved volume'... by the time the tubes in the guitar amps are saturated, and are sounding beautiful, and when I am giving it on the drum kit, the KP200S needs a PA to push it beyond the stage... it doesn't have much use beyond a personal monitor when driven at 'rock' volumes (esp. when it's outputting keys parts using the full frequency spectrum- think orchestral parts, etc, with sub basses and synth leads all inter-twined).

This is one thing on my must have for 2008. I probably won't grab it until the fall. I am GASing for a P'08 rack, logic studio, and an Apogee interface... then, I will grab the Motion Sound (when I am finished writing and got my album done and I'm ready to perform).

If any of you dudes hear about a price, let me know!

Phil

• Members

The coolest setup I ever played through, was a JBL Eon (older model) paired with a solid-state Leslie 760. I ran one output to the 760 and one to the Eon for stereo. The 760 with it's big cab had an ungodly amont of bass response, and it's less-than-pristine high end was masked by the Eon but still contributed to a sweet stereo mix. This actually did sound better than the KP200s (which replaced the monstrosity).

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Great posts so far! With keyboard amplification,the key is flexibility. I have a Motion Sound KP100S that I mount on an angled stand for smaller gigs -- for all the reasons Palaver stated in his excellent analysis in support of the KP200S - which I also looked at in 2006 but passed on in hopes that Motion Sound would eventually come up with what is now the KP500SN. I also have a Bose PAS system, which works really well in larger venue situations. I think the plan now will be to either get a KP500SN or get two of the new version Mackie 450 powered speakers -- to fill the current void in amps (no big stereo option). Since the KP100S is louder/bigger sounding than I thought it would be, it covers most situations, so the Mackie 450 route could be best -- since those speakers can serve double duty as PA add-ons, or side-throw monitors, or wedge monitors. I love Motion Sound products, and also use a Pro3tm that has been modified to accept two internally-mounted Shure SM57 mics that route to two XLR out jacks on the back -- for a great "mini-leslie" sound.

• Members

I'm not sure why a comment was posted on this thread about using headphones instead of a dedicated keyboard amp. In all my years of playing, I have never seen a situation on a professional soundstage where that would ever work -- especially if you're trying to sing, and look like a member of the band. Headphones are great for practice and recording...but not live performance.

• Members

News from Motion Sound (I just called my contact there b/c I, like all of you, was real curious about the price): They tell me the KP500SN will now be available at either the end of August or 1st week of September 2008. The MSRP ("full retail") will be $1,695.00, while the minimum advertised price (MAP) will be $1,299.00. Given that the most recent "discount price" I saw at Guitar Center for the KP200S was $979.00, this MAP price for the KP500SN makes sense.

• Members

News from Motion Sound (I just called my contact there b/c I, like all of you, was real curious about the price): They tell me the KP500SN will now be available at either the end of August or 1st week of September 2008. The MSRP ("full retail") will be $1,695.00, while the minimum advertised price (MAP) will be $1,299.00. Given that the most recent "discount price" I saw at Guitar Center for the KP200S was $979.00, this MAP price for the KP500SN makes sense.

The

...but that KP500SN looks to be powerful -

- and at 57lbs. it's only 2lbs heavier than the KP200S

• Members

Great posts so far! With keyboard amplification,the key is flexibility. I have a Motion Sound KP100S that I mount on an angled stand for smaller gigs -- for all the reasons Palaver stated in his excellent analysis in support of the KP200S - which I also looked at in 2006 but passed on in hopes that Motion Sound would eventually come up with what is now the KP500SN. I also have a Bose PAS system, which works really well in larger venue situations. I think the plan now will be to either get a KP500SN or get two of the new version Mackie 450 powered speakers -- to fill the current void in amps (no big stereo option). Since the KP100S is louder/bigger sounding than I thought it would be, it covers most situations, so the Mackie 450 route could be best -- since those speakers can serve double duty as PA add-ons, or side-throw monitors, or wedge monitors. I love Motion Sound products, and also use a Pro3tm that has been modified to accept two internally-mounted Shure SM57 mics that route to two XLR out jacks on the back -- for a great "mini-leslie" sound.

I have a KP100S, a KP200S and a pair of JBL EON15 G2's... I loved the sound of the KP100S so much, I went and got its big brother the KP200S for bigger gigs - I do think they both sound great but are underpowered. The KP100S is only good for solo/duo or maybe trio situations. The KP200S is ok as a stage monitor but if you play in a loud rock band it will get drowned out... which is probably why you're looking at the KP500SN.

If you're considering the Mackie SRM450's - compare 'em side by side w/the JBL EON15 G2's. I think the EONs blow away the SRM 450's - although I haven't heard the SRM 450 Mk. II's (newest version), maybe they've improved.

• Members

PA = (stereo): (2) speaker cabinets, (1) PA head or mixer, (2) audio cables to speakers from mixer, (2) audio cables per keyboard, (1) mixer stand. If powered speakers add (2) power cables (and probably extension cords).

Keyboard amp = (Motion Sound stereo amp): (1) cabinet, (1) amp stand, (2) audio cables per keyboard, (1) power cable.

Using a pair of EONs as your keyboard setup you get more power and better stereo spread than using the KP200S (which is a stereo amp) even with the stereo expander thingie engage - but using the KP200S gives a warmer, less harsh sound and is less wires/cables/power + patch cords to deal with... :lol:

• Members

Damn, it looks like you pay extra to have an underpowered pair of 10" speakers mounted in the same cab just to screw up the stereo effect. You could spend half as much for a pair of 12" or 15" powered PA speakers as monitors and get better stereo putting one to the right and the other to the left. Right now you could buy a pair of Samson DB500A speakers for only $800 and get a much better value. It's 500W RMS biamped 400W to bass and 100W to horn. No need for an ampstand either with the DB500A, since it does monitor duty with 15 or 30 deg angles on its trapezoidal sides.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I`ve been using the Traynor K4 stereo kbd amp for a while. Good clean sound, powerful enough but lacking in stereo separation if you set up the amp behind you. I`m considering the 500 watt Motion Sound unit since I already own the KP-100 model for smaller gigs and love the way the amp sounds (XLR`d in to a PA as well.)

The Traynor is even heavier that the 500 watt Motion Sound by about 8 pounds ? and only 300 watts..All these models are good tho`...

PS, keyboards played through these amps are a Korg M3 and a Nord Electro 2.

Archived