Good compressor for Rickenbacker?

• Members

I have a rickenbacker 620 which is absolutely fantastic, but i am finding the dry sound fairly underwhelming. I want to try and emulate that jangley sound, typifyed by Peter Buck, Johnny Marr and other 6 string Rick players. I am aware of the Janglebox, but is incredibly expensive. Are there any alternatives?

I have looked at a few, and so far the EHX nano soul preacher looks good, simply because of the low price, small size and quite a feq controls.

Any suggestions out there?

Ian

• Members

At band practice, i have a tsl60, and at home i have a Marshall MG30 something, which is {censored}. I have played it through a DeVille, with slightly better results, but i am going to try a laney lionheart 5 watt soon, as i beleive i may be able to get that at factory prices. Im hoping that will improve it.

The main reason i am asking is that Roger McGuinn said that he always uses compression for ricks because their natural sustain is lost pretty quick. Seeing as he is essentially the main man for jangle, i thought maybe i could use a comressor as a way to improve my tone whilst saving for a better amp.

Ian

• Members

Well I know you said that cheep is preferable, but when I saw Death Cab for Cutie, Chris walla had numerous Rickenbackers including a couple of 620s and on his pedal board it appeared he was using a Keeley four knob. Man his tone... Killin'!

Archived