Riddle Me This (Firewire)

gruvjack

• Members

Hi, guys. I use an M-Audio Firewire 410 on my desktop. I love it. Now, I need to go mobile to record. Where on earth can I get a laptop computer that provides 6 pin Firewire outlet? I ask this because certain places I go to may not give me the luxury of an AC outlet. I need to power the 410 with my laptop Firewire. I see some old Dells, IBMs and Gateways that have 6 pin Firewire but the new models have 4 pin outlets (if any). Short of getting an older used model (or going Mac :eek:), what are my options?

Thanks in advance for any input, guidance or advice.

V.

P/S The M-Audio Firewire 410 power requirements are 12VDC, 1000mA max.

• Members

On laptop battery alone, you may not be able to power the 410 even with a FireWire cardbus that has a 6-pin port.

And I would be very surprised to know there's any playing place that doesn't provide AC power.

In the middle of the rainforest? Go fish.

V.

• Members

Wrong assumption. My bad.

Thought you were worried about not having the luxury to use AC to play for a Homo
sapiens
audience.

As stated in my first post, this is for recording, not playback. I'm not recording anything that uses electricity. I'll be recording tribal music in remote areas that don't have electricity, maybe a couple of hours away from the nearest AC outlet.

Now, can anyone help me, please?

V.

• Members

On laptop battery alone, you may not be able to power the 410 even with a FireWire cardbus that has a 6-pin port.

And I would be very surprised to know there's any playing place that doesn't provide AC power.

battery or ac wall outlet has nothing to do with firewire running only how long before the battery goes dead. the sad fact is no cardbus/pcmcia card slots have enough power to juice a thirsty firewire device especially the firewire 410. requires as i said an adapter that has the extra plug in socket to get additional juice from the usb ports.

if you had a camera that had an internal battery then you can use pcmcia card firewire adapters without extra power as the camera wouldn't be feeding off the firewire power pins, but anything that does won't function without external power coming to the card there just aren't enough volts/amps in the pcmcia spec to allow any kind of pcmcia only voltage conversion to power even a firewire solo.

Archived