Any love for the Boss Mega Distortion MD-2?

tnttnttnt

• Members

Hi, I decided to get one after all and it was in the mail today.

Guys, it's very very good! It somewhere between the DS-1 Keeley and the OS-2. I am rolling off most of the low end as it's too much.

I'd say it's very similar to Satriani's Vox distortion, but a bit voiced for metal. Slightly mid scooped, but the palm mutes are not as tight as the MT-2 ones.

It's definitely NOT a bad pedal. Quite possibly Boss' best stock distortion box.

• Members

I found it quite fizzy, too. Just generally tuned poorly for high gain music. Maybe you have the magic combination of guitar and amp that makes it come to life, but I was consistently underwhelmed by its high-gain sound while being thoroughly impressed with its low-gain sound.

If you like it, fantastic, you don't have to validate your purchase by insulting those who didn't have the same experience with it.

• Members

You either don't know how to dial in good tone or your gear is {censored}. It's the least fizzy high gain distortion box I've ever tried.

Edit: I use a boost infront.

Sorry for being an asshole man, but I just couldn't get a good high gain sound from it. Maybe you're right that I wasn't able to dial in a good tone. Whatever works for you :)

• Members

No worries mate, sorry if I got a bit emotional. I just like to hear arguments, esp. since I posted a mini-review of the thing.

Sorry for being an asshole man, but I just couldn't get a good high gain sound from it. Maybe you're right that I wasn't able to dial in a good tone. Whatever works for you
:)

• Members

Ok I played around with it a bit more. All of you who say it doesn't cut it in high gain you are more or less correct. You need to dial in a good mid-but juicy-gain setting, don't overdo it with the highs and lows and overload the front end with your favourite overdrive.

I'm A'B ing with the metal zone. The MT-2 has this annoying fizz going on in the background that you can't dial out. Not even with an EQ. It's all over the spectrum. The Mega has none of that. BUT the MT-2 has more focused lows, you get that percussive effect when palm muting. I'm getting close to reproducing this with the MD-2 but it's hard.

Archived