At last, I'm in love with the Muff....

luke978

• Members

I picked up a 78'-80' tone-byass version 5 op-amp Muff two years ago. Its the 1322 circut.

I didn't like it very much back then, but I was using some extremely hot humbucker guitars at the time. I was all "WTF, this doesn't sound like Gilmore..." and promptly put it in a shoebox in the top of my closet where it stayed for 2 years. :facepalm:

Last week, I went digging in my closet for some toobs and sutmbled across it again (I know, I have a ton of {censored} in my closet). I got rid of my old guitars and bought an SG with 490t pickups since then, and plugged in the ol' Muff.

I can't believe how great the pedal sounds now. Its not near as muddy and undefined with the lower output pickups. Its got a great grinding fuzz in normal mode, and opens up and clears up when the tone is bypassed. I can actually hear chords with it now in both settings, but more-so in bypass.

muff001.jpg

muff004.jpg

I finally tried the Tone Wicker version Friday. Its a good pedal, but doesn't have the same grindy thick low end as the op-amp version. That being said, I'd definately pick up the TW version over the NYC reissue and the Russkie.

Thay have 3 or 4 of the Version 5 Muffs on Ebay right now. They seem to be going for 125-150. Pretty good price for some EHX mojo.

• Members

I think the Tone Wicker is the best EH made Muff in the past 30 years. And for certain stuff the Russian Grey is great, especially with old 100 watt British amps. As for the originals, they started to get too harsh (for me) somewhere during the Ram's Head run.

• Members

I have a tone bypass Big Muff too, don't know which version it is, but it's from '77. I use it for bass with the sustain at about 9 so it doesn't kill all the low end. One weird thing though: it boosts the signal a lot, even when it's bypassed. Does your Muff do that too?

• Members

I think the Tone Wicker is the best EH made Muff in the past 30 years. And for certain stuff the Russian Grey is great, especially with old 100 watt British amps. As for the originals, they started to get too harsh (for me) somewhere during the Ram's Head run.

I think the TW is one of the best Muffs. The wicker off and tone bypass on sounds good.

I would definately pick one up if I didn't have the op-amp version. The gain and overall tone of the op-amp circut is a bit different from the rest. Definately my all-time favorite.

I'd still like to try a Civil war and an original Rams head, just to see what all of the hype is about, though.

Archived